May 24, 2018
I'll open this by saying that I understand what I am trying to do is pretty unconventional and obnoxiously stubborn.
My partner just got into livestreaming on Twitch, and we said we wanted to do some console streaming. But not necessarily consoles that have built-in streaming. So we got a PC capture card.

Now here's where the weirdness comes in. I have a home stereo receiver (a Pioneer VSX-822) and have managed to hook up 8 game systems, a turntable, and a tape deck up to it. ALL my stuff is hooked up. For ease, and cuz I'm an anal weirdo that doesn't like to ever have to recable something, I bought an HDMI splitter to send the output of the stereo to my TV AND to the capture card. That way, anything can be streamed at any time.

Problem is, its a stereo. The speakers get audio but the HDMI-out doesn't.
Is there any way I could force the stereo to send audio to BOTH the HDMIout and the speakers?
Less ideally, is there some way to capture the audio otherwise? There's a pre-out that doesn't appear to be operational unless I'm misunderstanding something, or there's trying to capture the signal going to the speakers, but wouldn't that be way too hot and cause distortion?

I'm a total scrub with this stuff, please have mercy. I just hate cables all over my house.

Solution
The "preamp out" is actually the sub and front height channels line level outputs.Badly labeled.
The assumption is that you don't need audio from the HDMI out of the receiver since it does that.
Some receivers will pass video and audio when turned off. May not work for more than 1 HDMI input though.
You could use a speaker to line level converter in parallel with the front L/R speakers to give you a line level audio output. Not perfect since you would have to set the receiver to stereo and the volume of the receiver would affect the level going into the PC.
An external HDMI input selector with audio extraction might pass audio through to its' HDMI output and give you an audio connection for the receiver.
By the way what video capture...
The "preamp out" is actually the sub and front height channels line level outputs.Badly labeled.
The assumption is that you don't need audio from the HDMI out of the receiver since it does that.
Some receivers will pass video and audio when turned off. May not work for more than 1 HDMI input though.
You could use a speaker to line level converter in parallel with the front L/R speakers to give you a line level audio output. Not perfect since you would have to set the receiver to stereo and the volume of the receiver would affect the level going into the PC.
An external HDMI input selector with audio extraction might pass audio through to its' HDMI output and give you an audio connection for the receiver.
By the way what video capture card has an HDMI input that bypasses HDCP? The output of the receiver should be encoded with that.

Solution
May 24, 2018

There is a bypass mode but yeah, it only works for one channel.
Also, the HDMI splitter I'm using may or may not have the unintended totally-not-on-purpose side effect of disabling HDCP.
There could hypothetically be a whole forum dedicated to tracking which splitters do this, allegedly.

But a speaker-to-line converter isn't a terrible idea, would that have a negative impact on the sound quality, both recorded and played? Wouldn't that change the impedance? Again I'm not super versed in all the science here.