Formal Complaint About Facebook Filed With FTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I'm confused. I know Facebook changed how the privacy settings worked, but didn't they just give users different options? I haven't been on Facebook in a while, I mostly use it from my phone, so I'm not sure if the site itself has changed.

Am I correct in guessing that FB just gave us more options to adjust our privacy settings? As opposed to turning our settings off/down?

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
napoleondk, FaceBook's new privacy settings are less secure with it's new default setting, so it has better privacy if you andjust the settings, but if you don't adjust the settings the default settings leave you out in the open

I'll never understand why people choose to put their lives on the world wide web, then complain about privacy? lol

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
FB is retarded. Deleted mine a few weeks ago. If you want to let all your friends and family know how you're doing, call them. If you need a website for something we've been doing naturally for tens of thousands of years you don't have as many friends as you think. Besides, everyone knows that the only friends that count are the ones that will help you move a body, that list should be small.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]napoleondk[/nom]Am I correct in guessing that FB just gave us more options to adjust our privacy settings? As opposed to turning our settings off/down?[/citation]

FB made the default privacy settings lower, but in doing so they reset EVERYONE'S privacy levels to this new starting point. So stuff that was very private before is not now, unless you went back in to redo your privacy settings afterwards.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Moral of the story... know what information you're putting out there.

I use facebook because I've got friends spread all over the place and it's a good way to keep in touch... but after the anoucement I went in and manually reviewed EVERY setting in the app, making sure that they didn't open up any of my info to people I don't know.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
eh... the day they imposed most of these settings, when i first logged it a pop up appeared asking me if wanted to accept their new defaults or keep my old settings... seemed to do it for most people i know as well. and settings that were beyond those in the pop up remained as they were before such ass photo album and game permissions... i'm guessing this didn't happen to everyone though...

whobannedme

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Never used FB or MS and I used to think it was for lonely people or individuals that had no life and no real friends. I do agree that people who use some of these services are just so funny saying they've got so many "friends", but do they? I have co-workers that use it daily and I just kinda laugh that to me it's so impersonal. Cyber friends are just that cyber - unless you actually know and have met them. But just my thought.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
GoodLuck on that one. They emailed everyone's account and told them they were changingand told them what to do if they wanted to maintain their privacy so too bad Jackers. I think what facebook did is alittle on the stupid side, but they did everything they were legaly reliable for and pre warned everyone so they have nothing to worry about. And yes, if you give out your personal info. out on the Web, you shouldn't complain if your info. goes public. That's the equivilent of going out and buying a gun and purchasing some Ammo and aiming it at yourself and pullling the trigger than suing the gun company for producing a harmful object............

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
How about... realizing that when you put information on a social networking site, people are going to see it.

Oh wait, I forgot. You don't need common sense anymore. Lawsuits have replaced it.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]eh... the day they imposed most of these settings, when i first logged it a pop up appeared asking me if wanted to accept their new defaults or keep my old settings... seemed to do it for most people i know as well. and settings that were beyond those in the pop up remained as they were before such ass photo album and game permissions... i'm guessing this didn't happen to everyone though...[/citation]

Yeah, there was a blog post at the top of my homepage for ages. It basically said, "New privacy settings available. Unfortunately some of your previous settings have been changed to the new default. Check your settings to make sure all is as it should be." So I did.

About a week later a pop up came up and said, "Come on, time to check your settings to make sure you know what you're sharing."You had to actively click 'cancel' or 'not now' or whatever to get rid of the pop-up.

I don't understand why people are complaining. You can't ignore the smoke alarm and cry when your house burns to the ground.

zach538467

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]XZaapryca[/nom]FB is retarded. Deleted mine a few weeks ago. If you want to let all your friends and family know how you're doing, call them. If you need a website for something we've been doing naturally for tens of thousands of years you don't have as many friends as you think. Besides, everyone knows that the only friends that count are the ones that will help you move a body, that list should be small.[/citation]

You've been calling your family for tens of thousands of years?!?! You must be Japanese.

phillipmeyers99

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I look at the people who file the complaint and i wonder when America became such pussies. For the love of god people, that empty air chamber above your shoulders, you must use it once in a while. The site clearly tells you settings have changed, check yours now, then it will force you to after a week even if you have already done so. Stupid people who are to dumb or ignorant to read these messages or just ignore them should be sued by the rest of us for wasting space and oxygen. We get it people your DUMB, your mom wipes your butt and thinking for yourself is not something you can do. IF you can't use the site or don't get it delete your account, maybe FB should just delete accounts if you do not change the settings after 2 weeks, then these people would cry and bitch why did it do this, i ignored everything in front of me because i had to update my status and could not take the 2 minutes to run thru it.

intesx

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I'm not sure this warrants a "formal complaint" to the FTC, but I did find Facebook's automatic change in privacy settings a bit unusual. People who long on through a desktop browser got a notice that the privacy settings were changing... but a lot of people, who access the service from mobile browsers or mobile apps weren't prompted to update their settings. They just kind of took effect without consent. And that's just not cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.