Fox's KDVR News Calls Xbox the 'Sex Box'

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I am not surprised at the sensationalism that TV and news services try to create. I am often irritated that no balanced view is presented.

thedreadfather

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I love how they refer to the Xbox as if it's a company. "[she] reported the unwanted encounter to XBOX."

I also love how they cite one example and suddenly it's a big problem. Don't get me wrong, sexual predators do use Xbox Live (or rather the internet) as a medium to contact children/women/men, but you could just block them. If you play/surf smart, rape initiated by online services would be a lot less common.

On another note, reading this report felt like I was reading something written by a sixth grader.

shadow187

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Wonder if it's just in the money. TV will eventually become obsolete, with streaming and the ability to run your comp to your television.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Every time a child is contact by "someone suspicious", parents should call the police? Are you kidding me? What good is that going to do? Only after there is evidence that an actual crime has occurred, can law enforcement do anything. God, how many parents will end up call the police after reading this article when they see little billy playing on Xbox live and hear someone that sounds older?

Also, Xbox live is a service, not a physical product. It would serve the idiot writing the article good if he understood the lingo/jargon before writing that dumbshit article.

michaelzehr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
It's easy for something to be the "fastest growing" according to tracking data -- simply start tracking something that didn't used to be tracked! As for how dangerous it is, every time a study is done on the number of registered sexual predators on a given site, network, etc., the prevalence is less than in the real world. So while online sexual predator crimes may be growing, kids are still safer online than they are at the local pizza shop/ bowling alley/ theater/ water park/ etc.

It's really a shame that they spent valuable air time with sensationalist "news" rather than providing a real service by giving information to parents on how to protect their children.

wolflive

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
That message the girl got sounded like it was from a dumb little 13yr old. I mean really how many times have you got an immature message after you win a match?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Should have called it the crapbox cause its outdated since 2008, people even still buying this? and why? Garbage get a real gaming system either a PS3 or high end PC or get nothing.[/citation]Don't try to lump high end PCs in with the PS3. The PS3 is just as outdated as the 360. What a fanboy.

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
This is the kind of BS report that only stupid idiots take to heart. Sadly, there are a lot of idiots out there.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
A Fox Station, using sensationalism for ratings, eschewing journalism integrity in favour of Bold Type headlines and fear mongering? SAY IT AINT SO!

Cache

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
This is no different than the 80's certainty in media that satanists were abducting, sexually abusing, and killing children by the millions. Despite the fact that not a single case ever came to light--ever--it was accepted as common knowledge.

Where would the frightened Christians right go, but to the same story they remember from their childhoods? At least they are using something that really exists, for a change, I'll grant them that. It's the same hype, the same tapping into public fear, the same tired story without the teeth of legitimate facts to support it.

G

Um, you can definitely tell over xbox live when you are getting your butt kicked by a 11 year old on Halo 3, it's embarrassing is what it is. The reporter probably had a late night of xbox and the kids pummeled him into goo.

Keep up that quality journalism there Fox! It's exactly what we expect from you.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
The fact that Faux Noise has the highest ratings of any news network in America is disgusting, and it's the reason we'll never know if the current administration would ever have been good or bad, because half the country is too scared to let them try. Not trying to start an administration flame war, just saying it's the only way the right wing is sure they'll win back public opinion: by scaring people.

Status
Not open for further replies.