France Objects to Google's Book Deal Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
Australia has a problem with this as well, mainly due to Google's 'opt out' policy. Google apparently thinks that if a book was ever published in the US, but no longer is, then it can add that book to its 'library'. Many Australian authors may get a brief publishing run in the US, then drop out of print there. But unless these authors go to the trouble of 'opting out' of google's system, google will add their copyrighted work to the google library. Now, we have a trade agreement with the US which covers (among other things) Australian copyright provisions so this looks like a direct violation of the trade agreement. And if an Australian author actually wants to 'opt in' to google's library, he / she will have to travel to the US and arrange for a tax file # with your IRS. Total waste of time (one day each way travel, who knows how many days dealing with your IRS) and expense (those air fares are pretty reasonable, but then you have vehicle rental, hotel expenses, meals, and the filing fees with the IRS) all for a $50 USD signing fee from google? Sure, they also get 60% of any monies made by google on their behalf, but how long will it take to recover the $5k+ that the 'opt-in' option actually cost?

Google's 'do no evil' mantra is beginning more and more to look like the three monkeys...

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
I really don't care what France has to say. Any country that surrenders their war hero to the enemy gets a /ignore in my book.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I know it can be considered abuse of the authors rights etc. etc.
But sometimes I just want a book, and my library has awful hours...

dudxs

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2002
Think of it in the other way... Would you like your writing published without your authorization because in this country the copyright are no more valid, while in yours, it is ?
It has nothing to do with France but more likely about preserving author's work. And it is funny how this doesn't bother you, but, yet, you're the only country to have a patent systems for almost anything... So what ? Who's right here ?

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I know it can be considered abuse of the authors rights etc. etc.But sometimes I just want a book, and my library has awful hours...[/citation]

yeah i know, sometimes I just want a cd and my local HMV has awefull hours.....

ITS STILL STEALING!

Bert R

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
"France will send its observations to the U.S. court today or tomorrow,"

Now, I'm not a France hater, but this is just priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.