free or paid invoice creator?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I am looking for a free or low-priced invoice creator that is NOT working online because I don't want my customers' personal data to get processed or stored by a third party.

Excel and Word template is not good. I am looking for a software that will allow me to enter the details and it will export the corresponding invoice in a PDF, images or other common formats.

Any reputed software?

Solution
Hard is "relative" and I remain in agreement with PC Tailor.

What makes databases difficult for most people is that they attempt to do too much at first.

I would suggest starting by learning how to import any existing data from your existing Excel spreadsheet into a database table. Copy the data in via a read-only copy of the spreadsheet. Be sure that the original spreadsheet is protected and backed up.

Once you have a copy of the spreadsheet - no immediate need to keep the copy updated as you experiment and learn.

Using a copy of the spreadsheet will allow you "do-overs" while protecting the original data.

Once the data is into a table then work with the other database tools: reports, forms, and queries using the imported data...

PC Tailor

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017

Why is excel or word not sufficient? I use WPS office for my invoices as it has a PDF export and email shortcut button.

Most invoicing software is paid.

The free ones either try and take a cut when you sell online, or don't quite give you the transparency you need.

I.e. Wave Accounting is free and is very good, it will do everything you need, and allows for online payments, however if someone pays online, it takes a small % cut + a fee.

Invoice Bee is also free and incredibly good, it limits you on how many invoices you can do, but it doesn't QUITE have the flexibility you need for computer build invoices for example.

So basically, the free ones either take a cut when someone pays online, don't give quite the amount of flexibility you may need, or limit the number of invoices you can take, from my experience so far.

In agreement with PC Tailor.

Consider using a database. You can create forms, do calculations, and automate many processes to execute with the click of a screen menu button.

Start simple and work up to the full app you need to meet your requirements. Use any wizards or templates to create initial forms etc..

Not as difficult as many people expect (which is one reason there are so many cumbersome Excel-like spreadsheets about) and you will probably end up making expansions and improvements.

Again start small and simple. Initial data can be imported into the database tables from spreadsheets so you do not need to rekey all the data.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

Is it difficult to get started? I have zero knowledge with EXCEL

In addition, I do not have Ms Office. Will it work for WPS Office too??

PC Tailor

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017

It really isn't that hard. You just have to gradually learn as you go along. I have lots of experience with Office products and it ultimately took me 15 minutes to set up my Quotations, Invoices and Receipts on WPS Office.

The only downfall of WPS Office free is that it does come with Ads. Not crazy, but they make you see an Ad when you open the program.

Equally you can use programs like Apache Open Office, or Libre Office that are completely free and do the same thing. You can find lots of Invoice templates online and just download them and edit them in your office program. It really isn't hard, they may not look as pretty, but it's easy to do and completely free. Programs such as WPS Office, Apache, Libre will all work exactly as you require and all allow for exporting to PDF.

Hard is "relative" and I remain in agreement with PC Tailor.

What makes databases difficult for most people is that they attempt to do too much at first.

I would suggest starting by learning how to import any existing data from your existing Excel spreadsheet into a database table. Copy the data in via a read-only copy of the spreadsheet. Be sure that the original spreadsheet is protected and backed up.

Once you have a copy of the spreadsheet - no immediate need to keep the copy updated as you experiment and learn.

Using a copy of the spreadsheet will allow you "do-overs" while protecting the original data.

Once the data is into a table then work with the other database tools: reports, forms, and queries using the imported data. Database tables are very much the same as spreadsheets: columns and rows.

There are some rules and practices regarding data duplication but those can be addressed later on as your skills and knowledge improve.

As you learn feel free to experiment and then, again one requirement at time, develop and implement the functions you need. E.g., printing a .pdf invoice.

Which, actually may become moot because you may be able to create a form or report and simply print that if all you need is a physical invoice copy.

And be sure to use the Wizards or any default Templates. Generally, the default reports and forms can be edited to suit your needs and will save you a great deal of effort as opposed to starting from scratch.

Solution