Free security setup?

lukelc1

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I'm currently using Kaspersky Internet security 2011.
I'm wondering whether its worth switching to a free security setup would it provide better protection.

Currently Kaspersky is taking to long to startup, a windows security warning sometimes comes up saying that there is no antivirus running. It seems the Kaspersky process is one of the last to startup on Windows boot.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Most any anti-virus software is going to slow down your computer drastically (in comparison to nothing at all). Switching to a free AV won't do anything except make your computer more vulnerable (at least that's with 99% of the freeware out there).

I'd recommend disabling specific features of the anti-virus that you may not be benefiting from much. Also, try looking at other programs that start on boot up that don't need to automatically start and disable them too. This will decrease the amount of processes Kasp has to scan, increasing speed, as well as well as an increase from less programs starting on boot.

Hope this helped!

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Most any anti-virus software is going to slow down your computer drastically (in comparison to nothing at all). Switching to a free AV won't do anything except make your computer more vulnerable (at least that's with 99% of the freeware out there).

I'd recommend disabling specific features of the anti-virus that you may not be benefiting from much. Also, try looking at other programs that start on boot up that don't need to automatically start and disable them too. This will decrease the amount of processes Kasp has to scan, increasing speed, as well as well as an increase from less programs starting on boot.

Hope this helped!

Edit: Sorry for the double post; internet hung for a bit.

lukelc1

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

The program seems to be quite aggressive at times.
Is it worth having a standalone a Spyware & Malware program as well? I understand that there's one built in?