Free Your Music with Sonos 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ro53ben

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
A couple of tips:

1) When scrolling through the artist list on the Sonos controller, push the soft button labelled "PowerScroll". This will allow you to skip straight to any letter in the alphabet, like the W you mentioned in the review. This function was added by Sonos a couple of years ago following customer requests.

2)Sonos can actually play some DRM protected files from stores that use MS Play for Sure technology.

3) Get your microwave checked out, the magnetron really shouldn't leak that much interference and may be unsafe. Getting a unit with better shielding won't just improve your wifi signals, it will help protect your husband's fertility more than getting that laptop of his thighs!

ro53ben

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
A couple of tips:

1) When scrolling through the artist list on the Sonos controller, push the soft button labelled "PowerScroll". This will allow you to skip straight to any letter in the alphabet, like the W you mentioned in the review. This function was added by Sonos a couple of years ago following customer requests.

2)Sonos can actually play some DRM protected files from stores that use MS Play for Sure technology.

3) Get your microwave checked out, the magnetron really shouldn't leak that much interference and may be unsafe. Getting a unit with better shielding won't just improve your wifi signals, it will help protect your husband's fertility more than getting that laptop of his thighs!

G

On the price comparison: With Logitech yet get two unamplified Zones for $599, to compare with the Sonos bundle you need to figure in the cost for an amp as well, which is included in the ZP120

G

Another note: Sonos does offer a "jump to" option to jump to a certain letter. It is on the left soft button (below the screen).

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]ro53ben[/nom]A couple of tips:1) When scrolling through the artist list on the Sonos controller, push the soft button labelled "PowerScroll". This will allow you to skip straight to any letter in the alphabet, like the W you mentioned in the review. This function was added by Sonos a couple of years ago following customer requests.2)Sonos can actually play some DRM protected files from stores that use MS Play for Sure technology.3) Get your microwave checked out, the magnetron really shouldn't leak that much interference and may be unsafe. Getting a unit with better shielding won't just improve your wifi signals, it will help protect your husband's fertility more than getting that laptop of his thighs![/citation]
Thanks Ro53ben, great advice about the microwave. It is likely an old machine. :)

The powerscroll function worked for me, but it still requires the gesture of scrolling, which can get tiresome, I found, If I was making a long list of songs.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Avee[/nom]On the price comparison: With Logitech yet get two unamplified Zones for $599, to compare with the Sonos bundle you need to figure in the cost for an amp as well, which is included in the ZP120[/citation]
Thanks Avee. If you do another read of my review, you'll see that I did factor the amp into the price comparison. I said you'd need to pay (at the absolute least) $200 for an amp for your extra SqueezeBox unit, which would bring the price difference down quite a bit. I am assuming the consumer owns at least one amp (Sonos makes the same assumption with its bundle).

-Rachel

G

I know that this is a Sonos review, but since you brought up SB and Roku, I would like to see a more detailed comparison between them. SlimServer is a very powerful piece of (free!) software that is open source and has several plug-ins available for it. I haven't used SqueezeCenter yet. I don't know how the Sonos server compares. Also, since Roku can connect to SlimServer, it can reap all the rewards of it *at a much lower cost*...

G

I agree, you are giving Slim Devices the short end of the stick when overlooking its openness. There are alot of plugins. At least a year ago, this was not the case with sonos. This along with price is why I choose it over the Sonos. I am using a wireless PDA to control the slimserver. You can use your cell phone too. Why bother carrying another control when you cell is always right there?

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ro53ben[/nom]Get your microwave checked out, the magnetron really shouldn't leak that much interference and may be unsafe. Getting a unit with better shielding won't just improve your wifi signals, it will help protect your husband's fertility more than getting that laptop of his thighs![/citation]
I have yet to see ANY microwave(high and low powered) not have some amount of impact on wireless B and G. A would have been a better choice(unless I missed it in there somewhere). We have gone through many a microwave so I can confirm that this is a normal behavior for a 2.4 GHZ device. 2.4 GHZ phones will static if they are analog skip if they are digital unless they are extremely powerful units.

Even the manual on many wireless routers warns about 2.4GHZ interference from phones/bluetooth and microwaves.

I can sit my laptop between 2(Yes 2) microwaves running and music is fine, but video is a lost cause. The router is fairly high powered.

Bottom line, you should have have to worry. Getting your access point higher may help. Changing the channels and seeing whats best is also a good idea.

G

I have had Sonos for three years now. I have two Russound whole-house audio systems that are tied together giving me 12 zones throughout the house. I added a Sonos zone controller and have four hand held Sonos units. I could not be happier with the setup. I have Siruis radio and it streams in all 12 zones if I want. Also, I have found Sonos' customer support to be one of the best. It will be interesting to see if they keep it up as they grow.

G

Software in Sonos is pretty boring. eJukebox is better for parties.

G

I see that these reviews are all from the year 2008. It is now 2011 but I hope someone will respond. I am reading many reviews and all are very positive aboout the Sonos system except two. One said that the 55 watt per channel outpu is somewhat weak and will not allow speakers to crank very loud. The other negative was that the remote allows only the artist to be searched (on i-tunes I suppose) but not all of the individual songs, Are these complaints valid ? Any thoughts or advice ? I currently have four "zones" (living room, basement, deck, and family room) all wired to a very old receiver/amp/CD player. I need to upgrade and Sonos seems like my ticket. Should I bust a move or look around. You guys seem like you'd help me decide. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.