Freezing no BSOD

john814

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015
Hello! I have an asus q550lf laptop and it constantly freezes while playing games(has happened while not gaming as well) and plays the last note repeatedly and the only way to fix it is to hold the power button until it shuts down, i get no blue screen of death so i have no clue what the issue is, i have fresh installed windows 8.1 from a recovery drive and updated most if not all of my drivers, and at this point i am desperate! any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

operating system: win 8.1
4th Gen Intel Core i7-4500U processor
8GB DDR3 memory
1TB hard drive (5400 rpm)
NVIDIA GT 745M graphics

i have also fully updated my bios
scanned my windows for corruptions(which there were none)
i got a registry cleaner to fix any errors there were
unistalled an reinstalled all of my vga drivers several times

at this point im stumped an i don't know what to do
Thanks again!

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
It could be the Ram, Hard Drive or Overheating. Try to install HardwareMonitor from CPUID and keep track of the temperature. Anything over 90C is bad beans.
Additionally you can look through the Windows Event Viewer to see if there is anything which occurs around the time your computer freezes.
For checking the hardware you can use HDTune to scan for bad sectors on the disk. You can also make a bootable USB or CD with Memtest on it to test the RAM.
If you have determined that the HDD is good, try running a system file check from an elevated command prompt. Start>Search>CMD>Run as Administrator> "sfc /scannow">enter. But this can make a failing hard drive worse if that is the problem.

Edit: if it is overheating, blow out the vents with compressed air and get a cooling pad for the laptop.

john814

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015

Thank you! I'll post what I find!

carsong

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015
he BSOD (blue screen of death), as its name describe, is one of the toughest errors that you can confront as a Windows user. The Blue Screen of Death is an indication that something serious is going wrong with your computer. One term which may cause this symptom is called a crowded windows registry.The Windows operating system always refers to the registry to fetch information about all of the components such as hardware and software which are installed on the computer. The registry tells Windows what to do and how to access the different programs, files, and processes.However, the registry can contain bad info which makes Windows taking useless tasks or running unnecessary routines. Sometimes errors occur including the blue screen of death. Other times the system slows down. Because of the numerous factors that can involve the registry, there's no one size fits all approach. You can't just go into the registry and remove the bad data because it's nearly impossible to detect which info is good and which one is bad.A registry cleaner can just do the magic.The main objective of a registry cleaner is to eliminate the unneeded items from the windows registry to ensure your computer will keep running faster and with fewer errors

john814

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015

so i ran the memtest, hdd scan, and checked my temp and none of those had any issues, however upon running the sfc scan it came up with some corrupt files and stated that it was unable to fix some of them and that the details were included in the CBS log, what should i do from here?

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
When you ran HDTune did you use the long or short test? The short test just reads the drive's SMART data (i think), while the Long test will actually test for defects. Run the long test. If it comes up with anything then you have hard drive failure and should backup your data to prepare moving it to a new hard drive.
Otherwise (run the long test first) it could be a software infection. Running a startup repair from the operating system install disk is a good option.
My money goes on hard disk failure, but I hope it's software related.