"Fresh Start" to help my dell inspirons performance: NEED HELP BEFORE HOLIDAYS

Halo11702

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016
Hello, i recently bought this dell inspiron i3567-5664BLK-PUS and in the ratings under best buy it said that you could remove everything from the hard drive and reinstall windows 10 to improve performance. I did see the performance improvement from reinstalling windows (someone else doing it) using fresh start but i want to make sure that windows will either automatically install the correct drivers without bloatware before i do this fresh start button under windows 10.

I don't want any bloatware to harm the performance in my laptop. By bloatware i mean the stuff that dell put on here that's unnecessary and i want it all gone. If i go on dells web it tells me all the drivers necessary but it includes all the bloatware AGAIN!!

Short question : will using the fresh start ruin my laptop cause i cant find the correct drivers or will windows find all the correct drivers for me?

Note: I have not uninstalled windows only the stuff from dell that's still on here and every time I remove it, it comes back!!!

Solution
One way of achieving your goal is to delete any drive that appears during installation, also referred to as a clean install.

For this you need a bootable USB drive created from a mounted Windows ISO file. You can download this file from Microsoft. Make sure you select the Windows version that corresponds to your existing Windows license - most likely Home and 64-bit.

Then you need an 8GB USB stick and a small program called Rufus to mount the ISO file to the USB stick. This turns the USB stick into a bootable drive.

Insert the USB drive and start the computer. Hit the keyboard key that allows you to select a temporary boot order (F10 or F12 or...) Early on, Windows Setup will ask where you want to install the OS. If you see more than...
One way of achieving your goal is to delete any drive that appears during installation, also referred to as a clean install.

For this you need a bootable USB drive created from a mounted Windows ISO file. You can download this file from Microsoft. Make sure you select the Windows version that corresponds to your existing Windows license - most likely Home and 64-bit.

Then you need an 8GB USB stick and a small program called Rufus to mount the ISO file to the USB stick. This turns the USB stick into a bootable drive.

Insert the USB drive and start the computer. Hit the keyboard key that allows you to select a temporary boot order (F10 or F12 or...) Early on, Windows Setup will ask where you want to install the OS. If you see more than one drive, select one and click Delete, then Format. Repeat until all drives are formatted. You'll get all manner of warnings that 'this will erase/wipe/delete everything' and that's what you want. Don't let Windows Setup create a Windows.old partition! Now click Next. Remember to remove the USB drive the moment the count-down bar hits zero and the screen goes black!

You should now have a hard disk that only contains Windows - and no Dell software. Windows will then download any and all drivers necessary to keep the system going according to the terms of the license agreement.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution

Halo11702

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016

By doing this does this cause my activation key to be lost? Like when I go through the installation will I have to get a new product key?

Computers with recent Windows versions do not ship with a PK indicated on CoA sticker anymore. Instead during Initial Setup - the very first time you open the computer and Windows - you register and activate your Windows license by creating either a Microsoft Account or a Local Account.

If you have a Microsoft Account, your laptop will have been registered with Microsoft's activation server and you can basically re-install Windows on this Dell as many times as you like - you just need to enter your MSA details (e-mail and Windows password) each time.

I regret to say that I don't know how this works with a Local Account because I've never used this option. If you use a Local Account - and wish to continue doing so - you should probably refrain from using my suggestion and instead make peace with Dell's bloatware. Or wait for another poster who knows how to proceed using a Local Account.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.