Friend's mouse is moving erratically in FPS games and on desktop [Win10]

Feb 10, 2019
So a friend of mine has been having this issue with their mouse, where the mouse will randomly move around in all directions, although they weren't moving their mouse in those directions.

https://gyazo.com/400e0ba130e411e8d8efd478b8cf537b

The link is a short video by my friend using Team Fortress 2 to show the issue. The movement my friend was doing was moving the mouse left to right, as if they were shaking their head "no."

Is this a software issue with Windows 10, or could this be a hardware issue or driver issue with the mouse? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

RandomGuy42

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
Primarily based off an initial guess, I would be inclined to say that this is hardware related. I had a similar issue before with a Microsoft mouse, and it did the same issue on multiple systems.

If the mouse is wireless, try different batteries. If it's wired, your friend knows how to game properly. ?

To troubleshoot:
-First try the mouse on multiple computers, if you can. If it does the random movements on multiple computers, especially multiple operating systems (Chrome OS vs Windows, Mac, etc.) then it is definitely either hardware or drivers. Hint: If you don't have access to multiple computers, try bringing the mouse to a computer store like Best Buy- they normally don't mind when people try out their own mice or accessories on their display computers.

-Next, try a few different mice if you can on the original computer. (It's always good to make sure that the computer itself isn't the problem).

And of course, try updating drivers, trying different USB ports, blow compressed air at the sensor/led, and maybe a bit of "percussive maintenance" ;)

If none of this works, it's always fun to open up a (computer) mouse and see what's on the inside. Usually, mice can be opened by peeling off the glide sticker on the bottom and taking out screws.

Out of curiosity, which make/model of mouse is the issue happening with? Sometimes specific ones have specific issues that are easy to fix.

I hope that this large spew of information and guidelines is somewhat helpful.

Have a great day!

-RandomGuy42

Albet1

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
So a friend of mine has been having this issue with their mouse, where the mouse will randomly move around in all directions, although they weren't moving their mouse in those directions.

https://gyazo.com/400e0ba130e411e8d8efd478b8cf537b

The link is a short video by my friend using Team Fortress 2 to show the issue. The movement my friend was doing was moving the mouse left to right, as if they were shaking their head "no."

Is this a software issue with Windows 10, or could this be a hardware issue or driver issue with the mouse? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
It could be that your friend is possibly making the desk where the mouse is situated shake by leaning on the desk.