From the Labs: What’s Next for Consumer Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I really want the graphene transistor technology to take hold, but I have a really hard time believing it is possible. Although if it were a couple decades ago I never would have believed what we can do with silicon today either . . .

Just a note: refrigerator doesn't have a "d" like in the title on page 4.

magruder13

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
My school is in here twice!!!

Lets go University of Illinois!!!

I can't wait to start researching while I get my masters.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]magruder13[/nom]My school is in here twice!!!Lets go University of Illinois!!!I can't wait to start researching while I get my masters.[/citation]
aww yeah gotta love illinois! top 10 most corrupt locations in the world with a massive amount of debt :) goddd i love living in good ole illinois..well at least champagne is nice..

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]cant be done. against the second law of thermodynamics.[/citation]
I'm not quite sure what your understanding of the second law of thermodynamics is... Funnily enough, I am actually putting off thermal Physics revision with my book in front of me by opening this article and typing this!

The second law basically states that it is impossible to construct a machine whose only effect is to transfer heat from a cooler to a hotter body.

This transistor wouldn't be doing this, so long as the surroundings are of a higher temperature.

It is in fact possible to build a heat pump which actively pumps heat from a cooler to a hotter body, if you search sterling heat pump, you will find a lot of examples of this. It isn't in violation of the second law as it also requires work to be done on it.

G

there was a good discussion going until this guy came along and screwed it up. Tom's, get your act together and boot these advertisers out of here.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]pk[/nom]there was a good discussion going until this guy came along and screwed it up. Tom's, get your act together and boot these advertisers out of here.[/citation]

We are still working on the spam issue, but we made some headway today. Most of the spam posts come from Western China and Nigeria...so we are no longer accepting incoming IPs from those regions. Tom's - 1, Spammers - 0.

Devin Connors
Tom's Guide

arkportw

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
we are getting extremely tired if asking for details or fix it issues ,then never getting any responses.So please do not delete this same message..
1. my desktop icons refuse to work?????? and how to fit it,we have a good Anti Virus program,scans show no viruses ,then since this is the only issue with the desktop and the icons not working ,can it be fixed ,since ni responses came out of the wood works????>

arkportw

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
well the message was that bbei 77 had a response to my issue ,but no comment was available????????.Why waste my time >,.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Why not just use compressed nitrogen for fridges? When compressed into a liquid, gasses (such as the inert nitrogen) become very very very cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.