FTC Fining Google Millions Over Safari Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Sure 10 million for a company like Google isn't a big hit money-wise. The bad press that comes with it, however, is a big hit. I hate Ads with passion. I don't even watch TV because of the Commercials. Hating Ads, then, goes hand in hand with hating Google and their tracking ways.

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Good, taking advantage of something like that to TRACK users without their consent in ANY WAY deserves even more of a fine than that IMO

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
While this is a good move to keep Google in check, I think the fine can be a lot harsher - especially considering that this was an intentional circumvention of a competitor's security.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
The standards for cookies, RFC 2109 and RFC 2965, specify that browsers should protect user privacy and not allow third-party cookies by default.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]No, they didn't think they'd be caught![/citation]
QFT..... Doubt they'd have done it if they thought there was even a remote possibility of getting caught. Sad part is, I just bought an Android based smartphone to replace the WP7 phone I had. Now I'm having second thoughts....

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]The word Fining looks strange..... i'm not sure if thats correct to have fine spelled like that hmmmmmmmmmm[/citation]The tradition of English is that anyone can make up words with random syllables from most any language. If it's popular enough it will end up in dictionaries in a few years and become part of the "standard".

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
This is a little out of character and hypocritical for Google to do this. In the past Google has opened dialogue with websites and competitors to alert them of flaws. But I guess someone at Google felt way over justified to take advantage of Apple users perhaps thinking they were pulling one on Apple. This was a really poor slip of judgement here. They did little to expose their competitors flaws and they victimized users who could of been potential customers. On top of that they got fined and really bad PR that calls into question the very principals Google needs to get and retain users. Trust. There whole business is to have people trust them with their data.

greenspoon

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
[citation][nom]clindman[/nom]Google was quickly become a terrible big business.[/citation]

Google has long been one of these "terrible big businesses." No one wanted to admit it though.

G

Of course Google should play nice- they get more like Microsoft every day- but it must be really nice for a government to have a nice little cash cow like the FTC who can syphon tens of millions of $$$ off big-hitting companies, into their own coffers. Nice work, if you can get it

Status
Not open for further replies.