Solved! Function lock

marjshaw

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
My friend can't type question marks for example. It comes out as the 'E' with the accent (the blue symbols) same as with all punctuation that has a blue option on that key. It's obvious by my lack of technical terms that I can't even look it up with out the terminology...;) I found the term 'function lock' and suspect that is what she has done. Hope someone can help us.

Solution
Has your friend accidentally changed languages? That can cause that problem.

Sometimes on the bottom right theres an "EN" symbol for english - can your friend click on that and change it to english (it might be on french)?

If your friend doesn;t have that try this:

Press the left shift button and press the CTRL button.

This should change it back to english characters/layout.

One last thing:

control panel
region and language
keyboards and languages
change keyboards

then remove every other language except for English (us) or whatever region you want to use. before you accept try to double check that ur keyboard is on English before you do this, i had a keyboard error the first time i did it because my keyboard was still on...

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Has your friend accidentally changed languages? That can cause that problem.

Sometimes on the bottom right theres an "EN" symbol for english - can your friend click on that and change it to english (it might be on french)?

If your friend doesn;t have that try this:

Press the left shift button and press the CTRL button.

This should change it back to english characters/layout.

One last thing:

control panel
region and language
keyboards and languages
change keyboards

then remove every other language except for English (us) or whatever region you want to use. before you accept try to double check that ur keyboard is on English before you do this, i had a keyboard error the first time i did it because my keyboard was still on french. (to double check make sure you are getting the proper slash when you push slash, to change it if you're not getting the slash use the (left ctrl + left shift for 3-4 seconds)

Solution