G551JM boots and then shuts down after 5 - 120 seconds

Crazy-P

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Hi

As the title writes, my laptop, asus G551JM, boots just fine. Loads Windows, can run programs. However, depending on how charged the battery is, this can last from few seconds (while booting) to about 2 minutes in Windows.

The power plug is in and working, used another plug too. Nothing will make the laptop stay running. And this annoying laptop cannot run without a battery. (About 2 1/2 years old)

Checked for faulty hardware, unplug, replug, etc everything. So my suspicion is that this laptop just cannot run without a working battery?

The battery has been faulty already 3 months after purchase (was abroad so couldn't go for the RMA when I had my warranty). And by faulty I mean it cannot run any longer than 15 mins unplugged and suddenly shutting off, even though stating e.g. 80% (the time has gotten shorter and shorter). Even had that Windows message (this battery is faulty, cannot charge bla).
It never bothered, as the laptop is always stationed and I'm seldom moving it around.

So now on here, to seek the champs' advice.

It's caused by the battery, or is there another explanation for this irritating thing?

Thank you

Crazy-P

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Edit: the laptop cannot run without a battery plugged in even though using the power plug.*

Tried battery calibration too. Several efforts in vain