Gadgets That are Obsessed With Transparencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
What if you don't point the Looking Glass directly at the object, so when you point at something, it thinks it's something else? Like the word a line or two down, or perhaps the building next to the one you want. Seems like they'll have some work to do figuring that out.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Wolfram23[/nom]What if you don't point the Looking Glass directly at the object, so when you point at something, it thinks it's something else? Like the word a line or two down, or perhaps the building next to the one you want. Seems like they'll have some work to do figuring that out.[/citation]

Could fix that by having a camera somewhere in the frame, and you tap where you want it to focus?

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
What's up with all this concept crap on Toms recently? It's starting to feel like the gallery in a childrens tv program "Ben (aged 10) has sent in this picture of a USB stick in the shape of monkey that doubles as a fridge"

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
that looking glass reminds me a little of that Lego article that was posted on Toms not too long ago...

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]rtfm[/nom]What's up with all this concept crap on Toms recently?[/citation]
....because it's cutting edge and it's concepts like this that drive innovation and steer us into/towards the future. We are a consumer-driven economy and as such, are the captains of that ship. When the public sees a concept such as this, it generates the first step - interest/buzz about the product. Without that first stepping stone, products become dead in the water and we move on as a society.

I for one think it is an awesome concept, to imagine a touch screen, camera/capturing device, and interactive computer/tablet rolled into one - I even want one now that I've seen it (price aside of course)!

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]bogcotton[/nom]Could fix that by having a camera somewhere in the frame, and you tap where you want it to focus?[/citation]

And how do you do that when the device lays on the text. The camera will see only few pixel directly under it.

And even for the things like viewing buildings, the thing needs to know, where are your eyes. (Plus, you have two eyes, so which one to use for calculations?)

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]MxM[/nom]And how do you do that when the device lays on the text. The camera will see only few pixel directly under it.And even for the things like viewing buildings, the thing needs to know, where are your eyes. (Plus, you have two eyes, so which one to use for calculations?)[/citation]

You're splitting hairs and thinking too complex. The iPhone augmented reality app (not seen the Nexus One one) doesn't attempt to determine what you're looking at, it simply overlays everything in vision it has data on and the user then selects what they want.

The same applies here - anything in the device's field of vision gets data overlay and you then select what you want from there.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
I wish I could make up ideas that I will never actually create, just render in 3D, and make my living like that. Seriously, if that's all this guy does to get paid, he needs to put himself to better use.

Status
Not open for further replies.