Gaikai: Microsoft or Sony Leaving Next-Gen Console Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I'm a little tired of seeing this "rumor" showing up all over the place. While the possibility is not outside the realm of possibility, the source of this "rumor" classifies it more in the category of, "Wishful Speculation".

I could make a bunch of speculative rumors too if I want to. "Sony is considering to acquire the rights for The Old Republic." "Microsoft and Nintendo will announce a partnership to make a Halo vs. Metroid game." "Sega will announce that it's getting back into the console market with a revolutionary new system." "Apple will announce plans to embrace the open-source market and open up their platforms for outside development."

I could keep going if I wanted to.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]I would like to see these consoles leave all together. Return of the PC.[/citation]

Now that would be great.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
smart TV's

just no.

small form factor computers not tied to a TV (htpc), yes

Gap between two, a common user interface. Someone makes one, makes it retard (apple user) proof, he's on to a winner.

Likewise, this small form factor pc has common marketed peripherals to enjoy on your couch gaming/entertainment.

This is most likely going to be a console due to marketing and standardisation.

Unless they get rid of the perpetual muck up that was the PS3, this is going to be the next Xbox.

(ps I hate consoles, but this is the way it's going, your average console/television user will most likely derp if you mention a HTPC, and they are the guys willing to borrow on their credit card and spend it on overpriced junk)

wicko

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
Pure stupidity - either that or they're being cryptic, ie. Sony's next console is more media focused but still plays games (in order to reach a larger market).

Also the 10 year plan has nothing to do with the release of the next generation - PSX and PS2 were both supported for 10 years, but their successors were released 7 years later - PS3 has been out for only 5 years as of Nov 2011.

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
10 year lifespan? then sony should have designed a console that's worth keeping more then 2 years, like they did with ps2.
sony's more likely to drop out of dedicated console than microsoft is. ms will slap some kind of extra features like kinect, dvr, use of nokia phones as joysticks etc and put together a console. meanwhile sony will fail with their cloud, tv, phones etc....

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
To me, the ps3 died before it even got started...
Sony tightened it's buttonhole on that system to the point that game developers just couldn't make decent games for the thing... till later on of course... And I'm still mad at them for "Other OS" I happened to enjoy running linux on the machine......

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Huh. I thought news were supposed to be based on facts, not speculation. I don't see a huge leap in technology to justify an all out next-gen console. Why would Sony want a PS4 if what they can come out with (within reason) is a PS3.5?

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]HolyCrusader[/nom] "Microsoft and Nintendo will announce a partnership to make a Halo vs. Metroid game."[/citation]
Metroid+Flood=:) +1

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
The fact that this person thinks that only 3d party lame games will be made for the next Nintendo shows that they are just a random speculator who has no real place on a news website. I mean the only reason Nintendo doesn't have mainstream games today is because its console does not support 1080p. In terms of market saturation the Wii still did very well. And everyone would port games to it, if it supported 1080p, because game makers focus on sales and not on leetness.

Anyway, this rumor is meaningless. Still I wouldn't be surprised if consoles got a work around at some point, with everyone getting tablets, media pcs, and android devices either attached to their tv or inside of it. It makes having a console somewhat redundant.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
First things first, there is no decent (and more importantly cheap) next gen GPU that XBOX would use (and let's not forget, the closer to x86 architecture the better for developers etc.). So if XBOX 720 jumps out 2x faster than PS3 - be it. I won't buy it, PS3 is grand for another 2 years for me. What I want is a ground shaker. Console with some artificial intelect (i.e. GTA series, just turn around and traffic dissapears). GPU race is clear, give us something unique! I want to play game like Half Life original but where AI makes you think differently each time and surprises you. No rigged scenarios. Now for that I would give €1000 right now (provided there are games for it of course :) ).

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Lets leave the decision making to time itself. We can all wish for there to be snow, but it won't ever happen, and if it did not all at once. I think if Microsoft gets there foot in the door before Sony i believe Sony is losing out big time, and PS3 will just be what the Wii is to consumers today. A P.O.S that doesn't even see the light of day. I miss the Sega days, but face it not everyone is cut out for this business and if Sony has to go then so be it, not like there hand helds are doing any better then Nintendo's 3DS. Good luck to both Sony and Nintendo they will both need it if Microsoft announces there new console at this E3 in june.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]I would like to see these consoles leave all together. Return of the PC.[/citation]
While gaming on the PC is great, originally games were played on consoles. The first mainstream games were played on specialized gaming hardware.

I think the only thing that'd save the non-mainstream consoles today would be something really revolutionary hardware-wise, since anything soft can be run on the PC anyway. I'd love to see a new superchip like the Cell, but a bit more successful.
And if any console is about to get chopped, I'd say it would be the playstation. It has generated more losses than any other console and sony's public relations suck at the moment.

meluvcookies

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Didn't Sony plan to or recent sell off a good portion of the HDTV segment to Samsung, or am I misremembering that? It seems rather unlikely that they would head in that direction in lieu of a new console. This is far too confusing to be altogether believable as reported.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I think it's clear that Microsoft owns the Next-Gen console market.

The ONLY thing that saved the PS3 is Blu-Ray compatibility. But that wont help them Next-Gen now that standalone Blu-Ray players are super-cheap.

The PS Vita looks like a major flop right now too.

Sony is just dropping the ball.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
We're in the era of Smartphones and Tablets.

We're about to enter the era of Smart TVs once Apple hops on board with their iOS TVs using Siri and running apps and all that.

Sony might want to give up on consoles and beat Microsoft into the Smart TV market. Like how Apple beat Microsoft into the Smartphone and Tablet market.

Sony should make a Glasses-free 3D HDTV that has a built-in gaming console chipset and Blu-Ray player.

Find a way to keep it cheap enough to sell to the mainstream and it'll be huge.

Time to stop tryign to compete with Microsoft in a dying market and start competing with Apple/Google in an exploding market.

Status
Not open for further replies.