Galaxy S5 Mini doesn't like SD cards

Matthew Ross

Honorable
May 17, 2013
I've got 6 micro SDs ranging from 128mb to 8gb (meaning I can go at this a lot if need be). I've already tried the 8gb formatted as FAT32 and a 4gb formatted as exFAT. Neither of them are recognized by the file system. They are both recognized by my computer. When I insert the 8gb, mount sd card doesn't even highlight in the storage options. When I do the 4gb it allows me to mount it, but then a notification pops up that says blank SD card or unsupported file system. I tap that notification, it asks me if I want to format (keep in mind I have a single file already on the SD card to see if I can access it) and say format. Pop-up grey box appears at the bottom of the screen and says SD card is currently being checked and the Blank SD card notification reappears. I remove the sd card and put it back into my computer and I can access the file.

On a related note, I downloaded doubletwist music player, went into settings, scan local folder, hit the menu icon, hit show sd card, and my device storage popped up.

I have now also tried a sd card formatted as FAT which had similar results as the 4gb formatted as exFAT. And all six of my sd cards are readable by my computer.

Solution
You answered that question with your next to last sentence. The cards you are trying to use all came form prior devices. Try starting with a brand new, never been used anywhere, card and see if that works.
Depending on the brand, that could be your issue, if not a more common one.

These cards, have you tried putting one in the phone before doing anything else to it, when first purchased? If not, any alterations to it may be your issue.

If that doesn't work (starting with a fresh new one), then I would contact the manufacturer of the phone as it may be the port that is the problem.

BTW it isn't the size, as that device should handle up to 16GB.

Matthew Ross

Honorable
May 17, 2013

I've read up to 64GB, but I haven't confirmed with the manufacturer.

I also called up Samsung who said they don't support international devices (?).

I'm currently downloading a Android 6.0 update supposedly for the Netherlands and I'll see if it's a software issue. But seeing as I had this issue before my update to 5.1.1 I think I'll continue to have problems.

I believe all the brands are Sandisk because I looted them from previous phones.

And when you say alterations, do you mean updates? Because I haven't even installed custom roms or rooted the phone simply to avoid stability issues.