Galaxy Tab 8.9 WiFi Priced at $469, Launching This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Let me think about it ..... no thanks, too expensive for a novelty device.

I am totally getting it now though, all the folks who use to use their desktop PC's just to surf the web and play Peggle are now replacing them with tablets. For them, a device like this can do everything they need. The reasons I build and own PC's are for: gaming, web design, photo editing, etc. None of which can be done well on a tablet.

I believe all the tablet market is doing is separating the wheat from the chaff. The power users will stick to PC's, and the social users/web surfers will migrate to tablets. With some overlap, of course.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Let me think about it ..... no thanks, too expensive for a novelty device. I am totally getting it now though, all the folks who use to use their desktop PC's just to surf the web and play Peggle are now replacing them with tablets. For them, a device like this can do everything they need. The reasons I build and own PC's are for: gaming, web design, photo editing, etc. None of which can be done well on a tablet. I believe all the tablet market is doing is separating the wheat from the chaff. The power users will stick to PC's, and the social users/web surfers will migrate to tablets. With some overlap, of course.[/citation]
I think beardguy, you are one of the few people who post who 'get it'.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I think beardguy, you are one of the few people who post who 'get it'.[/citation]

Thank you, kind sir :)

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
@beardguy is right. However, some may see the PC getting neglected now. One thing I don't get is how Apple is able to sue over this. The Samsung does not even run iOS, it runs Android which is a different OS. By this logic, how is it that Apple isn't suing Dell for making laptops that run Windows versus their Macs. Some have even taken Vostros and made them to run MacOS (OSX86) -> myself included.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Tablets are not designed to replace PC's they just complement the "online" world of today and are perfect for consuming media. Power users have both.

[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Let me think about it ..... no thanks, too expensive for a novelty device. I am totally getting it now though, all the folks who use to use their desktop PC's just to surf the web and play Peggle are now replacing them with tablets. For them, a device like this can do everything they need. The reasons I build and own PC's are for: gaming, web design, photo editing, etc. None of which can be done well on a tablet. I believe all the tablet market is doing is separating the wheat from the chaff. The power users will stick to PC's, and the social users/web surfers will migrate to tablets. With some overlap, of course.[/citation]

One other possibility: We power users who like to kick back and surf stuff like Tom's or the newspaper, maybe even read Ebooks or manga. For the low-power stuff, the tables suits me and frees me from my computer room. I get to spend more time with my daughter. Or outside in the fresh air and sunshine.

Then again, I got the Asus eee Pad Transformer without the base for about $390, and it serves my reading purposes just fine.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Too bad for the lawsuit battles. This tablet would have been on shelves 6months ago. Which would have justified the 400-500dollar price tag, but now is a little bit too late with tegra 3 devices hitting shelves in the next 6months. Hopefully, the next tablet/smartphone line-up from Samsung won't get delayed by Apple again.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
The HP TouchPad firesale completely ruined my price perspective of Tablets. I would never pay more than $200 to $250 for a quality one. They're essentially worse than Netbooks except they have touchscreens instead of keyboards.

user_ace

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Why would i get this when i can get an iPad 3 for $30 more in a month? If it was $399 i would be more tempted to buy...

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Got 3 kids also pickup 3 HP TP during the sale. Tablet in it's current form is just for kids. Occasionally, I pickup to check email, light reading and browse the web when my PC is off.
Would never in my right mind gives my 3 years old a $400 toy to carry around.

Even if it just for me, $400 is steep for email, reading or browsing the web. The sweet spot would be $250.

apexle

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
When I was a young teenager, I dreamed of being able to afford a Radeon 9800 Pro, or an Nvidia 6800ultra.

Now that I can afford those things without worrying about finances too much, I like to build computers and get top quality hardware if they are reasonably priced. I know all these touchpads are aimed at the general masses, but I would like to see just ONE manufacturer stick out from the rest and produce something that dominates the rest of the tablet market, even if it costs near $1000 or even more if the specs justifies the price. I'm sure there are more like myself out there too (I'm in my late 20s if it matters)

Maybe once Kal-El/Tegra 3 comes out, it'll be different in terms of tablet software. I don't expect to do heavy gaming/graphics processing on it, but I want it to facilitate things I can't do with my PC easily like checking my email or pulling up some documents/maps when I need them.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
No way for me, any tablet, but how can I put this in perspective with all the recent debates.
9 inch, Android, 1 Ghz dual core and everything for $467 ...Isn't the iPad overpriced or not?

Say what you want to me one more time, set me in red -xx all you want but Samsung is not the innocent original game changer some are defending. This is a very decent device, but one iPad killer? Only for those who avoid any Apple logo. For the rest it will only be a matter of personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.