Galaxy Tab Gets Gorilla Glass Tested by Air Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Apple needs to consider making the front and back glass for the iPhone 4 out of this stuff. Also... both videos were removed by the uploading user. :p

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]Prince_Porter[/nom]Videos were removed for whatever reason, super lame![/citation]
Doh! Let me try to find some other video mirrors. :(

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]dtemple[/nom]Apple needs to consider making the front and back glass for the iPhone 4 out of this stuff. Also... both videos were removed by the uploading user. :p[/citation]
I believe the front glass of the iPhone 4 is made out of this stuff.

This stuff certainly isn't new. What makes it interesting (to me) is that it's flexible. You try to bend normal glass, it shatters right away. You bend this stuff, it takes a while before it shatters. Not immune to scratching, but it's still pretty tough.

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]squanto[/nom]aww now I want to see the video even more!! Marcus you sure know how to build up interest you dog[/citation]
Sorry man :(

To make it up to you guys, though, how about we show you a video of Jane trying to break Gorilla Glass?

slipdisc

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]I believe the front glass of the iPhone 4 is made out of this stuff.This stuff certainly isn't new. What makes it interesting (to me) is that it's flexible. You try to bend normal glass, it shatters right away. You bend this stuff, it takes a while before it shatters. Not immune to scratching, but it's still pretty tough.[/citation]

Steve Jobs said that the company developed a new technology for the glass housing of the iPhone 4. It's called aluminosilicate glass, and is the sort of glass used in the windshield of high-speed trains and helicopters. But Apple never, and I stress never, says that the glass is in any way resembles gorilla glass.

Apple claims the glass is really tough. There are plenty of videos to show the strength of gorilla glass. There are also a few videos showing how brittle the iphone glass is.

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Sorry man To make it up to you guys, though, how about we show you a video of Jane trying to break Gorilla Glass?[/citation]
That would make me happy, along with many other users I'm sure.
But could I post the fact that I'm happy to that new iPhone app that takes status updates on what you're doing when you're happy?

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]dtemple[/nom]That would make me happy, along with many other users I'm sure.But could I post the fact that I'm happy to that new iPhone app that takes status updates on what you're doing when you're happy?[/citation]
Alright, stay tuned for that video later this week!

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
A normal LCD can't even take a .25 gram standard BB from a .5 joule air pistol from 3 meters. Trigger happy makes disappointing accidental discoveries :-(

zepho

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]I believe the front glass of the iPhone 4 is made out of this stuff.This stuff certainly isn't new. What makes it interesting (to me) is that it's flexible. You try to bend normal glass, it shatters right away. You bend this stuff, it takes a while before it shatters. Not immune to scratching, but it's still pretty tough.[/citation]

Regular glass is very flexible too. The problem is, that when it is scratched, it loses it's flexibility very rapidly.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]dumiller[/nom]Gorilla Glass is alkali aluminosilicate glass just like the glass Apple used on its iPhone 4.[/citation]

Now that just sounds like transparent "aluminum". :p

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
So what happened?

Also "Sadly it seemed that the owner of the videos didn't have what his pistols did" - what does that mean - balls?

Status
Not open for further replies.