Game renters may have to "buy" ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
They wouldn't be having any of these issues if their products were affordable, or worth the money. I don't like buying second hand games, but if I can get a $40 game for $25 I'm probably going with the $25. The fact that 2 new games cost over $100 makes it difficult to buy more than 1 new game at a time.

Lower prices will increase profits.

spiralsun1

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
See? the PC is the best gaming platform for corporate profits too -- because you load the game onto the hard drive and have a security key which can also be verified / validated online. So much for the "BOX" gamers and their array of rentable, shareable, disks. LOLOLOLOL If you think they are too expensive then why do box gamers buy 2 separate computers so they can game while PC gamers buy 1 computer. Plus the price comes down in a few months to usually half that. Just wait.

EntropyMu

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
You know what doesn't make sense about this? The bias against the PC.

If games for consoles are rented or bought used at a 2:1 ratio, isn't the 20:1 ratio for piracy on computers (which have virtually no secondary market) a much much better outlet?

zenmaster

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
If the "Price is Right", I don't have an issue with such a feature.
In fact, you could even sell a discounted retail version w/o the "Final Boss".

If you game is "Good", folks will play it and buy the final boss.
If the game is not good, then folks will toss it aside and not buy the added content.

I can't tell you how much I hate paying $$$ for a game that turns out to be a dud.

If a game that is REALLY Good, then the price is WAY more than fair if you consider the time spent playing vs the cost of going out or doing other activities.

astrotrain1000

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Why spend sixty bucks on a game you'll get tired of in 8 hours anyways.I used to rent games for the nes, then the snes, so its not like this is some new development. This is just corporate greed. Typically when something grows in popularity and is more mass produced the prices drop, not so with video games they have increased the prices and now they are wondering why their sales aren't where they want them to be.

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Did it occur to Epic that perhaps the average PC gamer, generally older than console gamers, has already played and continues to play better games than the console hits like Gears of War and Halo?
I know I have played better, much better.
Sure, your game is pretty and the voice acting is nice and all but it's just another shooter.
Give me something different and better and I'll pay $50 for it.
I paid $50 for Medieval II: TW and haven't regretted it ever.
It's loaded with replay value and I never feel cheated when I think of how much money I spent on it.
I've paid $50 for "good" games such as Gears of War and Crysis and continuously regretted it since after I finish it in a weekend. Also, I haven't even looked at the game box since I finished.
Give I'll sacrifice style over substance any day.
Or... I'll have both and play a game worthy of my $50 like Oblivion or Fallout 3.
Enough with believing your own hype, make better stuff. Your games are eminently playable, but I'm sorry they're just not that compelling and don't deserve to be any more than a $20 or $30 purchase for 10 hours. I don't care if your production costs more, code more efficiently or work harder on content.
Digital Download PC games should be cheaper.
You can forgo disc publishing and shipping costs and the inevitable RMA/replacement issues that go along with it, and you don't have to worry if Gamestop even bothers to have your game on the shelf.

The $50 price is a premium to play the game first and nothing more, get a hold of yourselves Epic, I don't need your mediocre but "console genius" crap anyway.

The best way to end PC piracy is online registration like an MMO and reduce costs by going through digital distribution. Unfortunately for the few of who have high-end enough machines to play these games but apparently no internet connection to activate them like an MMO you are out of luck.

What's next, are we going to do this with movies? If you wait until it hits Netflix you're going to have to download the ending for another $10?

GoW is a $30 pc game at best, if you can get more out of console gamers than congratulations, but I know something that's not worth it when I see it.

Rancifer7

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
This idea sickens me. I would loathe this idea if it ever came to pass. This would be nothing like a subscription. This would be like a paid demo. And if you are not connected to the internet on your pc/console? Call them up? oh they are only open until 5pm est? Hey they are open late, and your call goes to india! I can just see how well that would work out.

Find that new awesome weapon? That will be $5, thank you.

this is nothing like extra content. Sure you can pay for extra maps or an expansion, maybe even pay for new content on a constant basis (mmo).

How pissed off would you be if your watching a movie and right before the big climax, a big screen pops up asking you to enter your credit card information.

Lets expand it to all products! I can see it now! Want to drive your car past 65,000 miles? That will be another $10,000 or we stop your car, take it back, and kick you in the balls.

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
On a similar note:
I don't so much mind the idea of pay-per level downloads.
It gives the developers something and it allows me to say "to hell with" a game that I'm not liking without spending all of the money on it.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
This is a GREAT idea. Product manufacturers should all profit from the secondary markets around their products. Home builders should get a second, third, fourth profit from a home that is resold. Automobile companies in the US would be in much better shape if they got another chunk of money when that car was later resold or when someone wanted to add new value to the vehicle.

Seriously... this is outright jealousy. They want people to pay more money for a game because they have the ability to lease it. This tells me as many have said above that they have an issue with their profit structure if they are thinking of resorting to these tactics. It's okay... the market will take care of such companies. I have a feeling that the 'I bought the game' completion codes will simply travel around as the new pirate currency.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I think Michael Capps would be very dissapointented with the limited amount of people who would pay any amount for the final level of any game. Unless the whole game has had such a compelling story line you simply must know how it ends, there's no way anyone is going to care. I actually hate boss-fights anyway, especially in your traditional japanese role-playing game where the final boss has 27 different forms.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I think Michael Capps would be very dissapointented with the limited amount of people who would pay any amount for the final level of any game. Unless the whole game has had such a compelling story line you simply must know how it ends, there's no way anyone is going to care. I actually hate boss-fights anyway, especially in your traditional japanese role-playing game where the final boss has 27 different forms.[/citation]
It would be hilarious for crappy games developers to finally see that even though they sold over 1 million copies, no body bothered to finish it. I would laugh my ass off.

nine3o

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
and Capps blames the 20:1 pirated to non-pirated ratio as the reason why there is no Gears of War 2 on the PC./quote]

Load of BS. The reason there is no GoW 2 on the PC is because M$ is the publisher of this game and comments like this is only to increase XboX sales for those that want to play this crappy game.

If Epic actually released a game at the same time on multiple platforms (e.g. Fallout 3) your sales on the PC would be great, don't release a game over a year later on the PC (riddled with bugs that you wont fix) and expect "EPIC" sales!!!

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
20$ for a final boss code, go f*ck yourself

you're game was bought once, once it is bought, i can do whatever the hell i want with it and that includes selling it "used"

go ahead and try it, if crackers can crack yer whole game in 20 minz, it will take em 2 minz to crack your final boss

where do they hire these clowns, from f*ckn clown college?

hesido

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Guess what the person who sells his first hand game to another person is likely to do with his cash.. Get a frigging new game, that's what. There's some sort of balance to this. This is corporate greed indeed. They should stop whining about used games market, and thank god as their games first needs to sell before they can be resold.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
most games if they suck end up costing 10 bucks in a bargain bin within 6 months anways, and there are more crap games than there are good ones!

games that are good still pull a good share of their first day price
for example, COD4 still sells for 50 bucks on steam and around 40 bucks in retail stores, if you are on steam you can usually tell which game sucks; it's the one that gets marked down after like two weeks!

take note EPIC, make good games and people will still buy them at 40-50 bucks!

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Cushgod[/nom]I love it kamkal!!! You said it the best!! I laughed out load! seriously!! Awesome points!![/citation]

:)

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
I am a retail paying customer and I'm getting sick of this trend where you get the same thing, but pay more.

Pay for expansion packs, pay for weapons, pay for horse armor, now Epic wants you to pay for a boss?

I love games and the people who make them happen, but what pebble of idiocy has gotten into your brain-box that makes you think you can control the secondary market?

Ahhh, Hollywood! There's your cultural parasite right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.