Game Retailers Not Liking EA's Project $10 Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
Just penny pinching. Not to mention lame. Games for the most part are already way overpriced. There are very few games that are worth the $50-$60 price tag. What will end up happening is people will wait till the game has been out for 6-12 months and the retail price has dropped in half or more cause no one will want to pay full retail or a "used tax". Pure and simple greed... not like the developers are gonna see any of the money.

lorddrake

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
As somone who almost only buys used games from Gamestop Ive always supported not Copying games, just buy them if you want to play them, or wait for them to hit the 20 dollar price range. But if they start doing this I will swap to the "pirate the hell out of games" side! I think this is complete BS. And instead of buying games legit at a used discount price, I will steal them instead!

G

Good, screw gamestop , they buy back games for around 10-15 dollars, then charge ppl 40+ for the used game. Alot of times i find them selling used games for 5-10 less than a brand new game. Also most of the time that ppl trade a bunch of games in for a new one, its a "new Used" game anyways.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
If they're so butt-hurt about it, maybe they should actually make games that are good enough that I want to keep playing them once I'm done, instead of flipping them for something else once I'm done. Of course EA wants to cash in on the second-hand market, but this sucks. I haven't bought a game in five or six years that I didn't trade at least one older game in for, and a lot of my games have been funded entirely by trade-ins.

If EA and Sony manage to change the landscape to a point where I stop being able to get meaningful amounts for my trade-ins, I'm not going to be happy. I can't blame EA for wanting to deepen their pockets, but damn, give us a break.

Second hand games are lower priced because you lose a lot of the benefits associated with buying an unopened game - returns/refunds for defective products, the certainty that you get buying a game new, knowing you're the only owner, promotional materials, any manufacturer's warranties, etc. You don't get any of that when you buy a game used - you get whatever the seller is willing to offer you. Some retailers are kind enough to offer a limited return policy for used games, while others sell used games "as is". Being forced to fork over extra cash to the manufacturer, without getting back any of the protections enjoyed by the first owner (if any - this is inapplicable in some, if not many cases) is a load of crap.

Will I boycott EA/Sony because of this? Highly unlikely. Will I be pissed that the trade-in value of my games is decreasing? Absolutely. Will I buy fewer games in the long run, if my trade-in values decrease? Almost certainly. And the greedy manufacturers will have no one but themselves to blame for it.

But then, I'm just one guy. They'll probably survive.

G

Although I'm not much of a rap fan, to paraphrase Eminem: EA can kiss my butt, lick fumunda cheese fumunda my nuts.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Ninjamonkeh[/nom]Good, screw gamestop , they buy back games for around 10-15 dollars, then charge ppl 40+ for the used game. Alot of times i find them selling used games for 5-10 less than a brand new game. Also most of the time that ppl trade a bunch of games in for a new one, its a "new Used" game anyways.[/citation]

Why is hating on Gamestop such a fad these days? Used games are worth what people will pay for them. If you don't like Gamestop's model, don't give them your business. You are perfectly free to sell your used games on Craigslist, eBay, or anywhere else.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of people are perfectly content trading in at Gamestop. For me, being able to immediately dispose of a game I'm not interested in by trading it towards something that I am interested in is absolutely worth whatever "loss" I might sustain by not selling it directly to someone else. The time and effort I save suits me perfectly.

ryanjm

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
EA's "Project Bend Over" will be countered with many users' own "Project Pirate the Shit Out of Your Products to Spite You."

ibn gozzy

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
This is just another way these companies are trying to generate revenue. But the basic issue is whether or not somebody own the game in the first place. If you've ever read the EULA for most games (if not all) they say that you are buying the right to use that game/software but not the game itself. This issue has been an ongoing legal battle that, unfortunately, the big publishers are winning because they have a better legal team, against "Joe Public", and the fact that they already state the terms. I do not support this. If you pay money, it should be yours to do with what you wish-PERIOD. Our justice system really needs to take a close look at this and hopefully they'll come to their senses.

Burritoclock

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
To the "I'm going to pirate" guys:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/2/19/

Piracy is part of what brings about thing like these, you pirate and you create the need for these things. I think it's brillant. They don't force you to pay anything, you get a bonus for doing so. Shut up and stop whining, a developer spends millions developing a game and then has what 25% of their revenue taken by pirates and another 30% or whatever taken by gamestop and the like. What do you think they should do? Subsidies your broke ass?

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I don't think it'll work. People will most likely just buy the game (at an even more reduced price) used then find a crack to unlock the content on the disc they physically own.

I doubt a legal case would stand against someone accessing files they paid for.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]lorddrake[/nom] instead of buying games legit at a used discount price, I will steal them instead![/citation]
Umm, downloading games isn't "stealing" at all, it's file sharing! I paid for the system I use to share with, and I pay for the bandwidth to download it with, and that file WAS paid for and then subsequently shared. So please, adjust your vocabulary and not let EA and the rest make you think it's actually stealing...

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
EA's greed knows no boundry.

This is by far the shittiest move EA ever made and its going to pissed off lots of potential customer.

lysanthus

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
If I purchase something, what gives the original owner (or original seller in this case) any right to it when I re-sell it?? I purchased it, I can sell it to whomever I want!

Nimmist

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
[citation][nom]gekko668[/nom]EA's greed knows no boundry. This is by far the shittiest move EA ever made and its going to pissed off lots of potential customer.[/citation]
I don't know, limiting the number of installs still seems the shittiest to me. Still, this is pretty bad. Good to know the gaming industry is still coming up with new ways to alienate their paying customers.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
publishers live in their own little world.

I happen to know of another place that constantly profits from the sale of used goods with no money going back to the original manufactures.

I believe its called ebay.com

I didn't see the maker of my bed come to my door asking for a cut after I sold it at a yard sale?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
LOL. Imagine my surprise when I brought him my used television only to find out I had to pay Samsung $35 bucks to use the HDMI ports. Otherwise it's just Component.

It's outrageous. Who the hell do they think they are? No other industry in the world could get away with crap like this.

Bottom line: I don't care how good a game is. I'm not buying a game if I know the re-sale value is limited by some stupid add-on fee. Not buying it at all. If that means no more Madden then so be it. If I want to play a game that badly and it has this "feature" I'll be downloading it online, playing it, then trashing it.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Nimmist[/nom]I don't know, limiting the number of installs still seems the shittiest to me. Still, this is pretty bad. Good to know the gaming industry is still coming up with new ways to alienate their paying customers.[/citation]

Limiting the number of installs sucks but it is completely logical. It makes sense to have a system similar to the iTunes system where a song can only be authorized to play on five simultaneous computers. You can de-authorize and authorize other computers but never more than five. That makes perfect sense in my eyes.

Trying to charge for a game that has already been purchased is absolutely ludicrous. Video games aren't the only products with re-sale value but they seem to be the only ones that can somehow be charged to re-sale. Don't you think Ford would love to make some money from people selling their used Mustangs? Hell yeah they would.

Status
Not open for further replies.