Gamer That Needs help with Laptop Selection

bigazsben

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
1. What is your budget?
my budget would be around $800-$1,100 USD, hopefully the cheaper the better.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I would prefer it to be 15.6ins. I want the screen to be somewhat big enough to see movies and play games, but not too big where it becomes a hassle like a 17.3in+ laptop.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p please :)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I would like it to be both, but more desktop replacement since I want a gaming one.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Any is fine since I plan on gaming/watching movies/and other stuff so I'll usually keep it plugged in or close to the charger.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I currently play HoN, which doesnt take much out of your computer, and Guild Wars 2 (currently play on all low and takes about 2-3 mins to load into Lions Arch and WvW without computer lag is something I wouldn't expect to ever happen.)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop?

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I would like 500gb+ The more the better but 500 would be ideal :)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
None hopefully ones that have free shipping or no tax just to keep the price low. :)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Well I want to keep the laptop for as long as possible. My current one has lasted me nearly 4 years now.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I mean blu-ray would be nice, but a R/W DVD would also be fine. As long as it doesnt drive up the price.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Currently I do not have a problem with many other companies but I'm not a fan of Acer (first laptop) because their customer service was not great to me. The sound board burned out and they told me I had to pay to ship the laptop to them while I was still on warranty. After that they did not fix my laptop, and requested that I pay for it to be sent back. Other than that I don't mind any other company :) Also I'm not the biggest fan of AMD and ATI parts. I hear good things but in my past experience both have broken down on me or caused me problems so I usually just stuck to Intel/Nvidia

13. What country do you live in?
United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I plan on using this laptop for gaming, multimedia purposes, and random stuff in the future. I was planning on getting the MSI GT60 0NC-004US, but 1500 was simply too expensive, and the MSI GE60 0NC-262US. I haven't heard much of MSI, but the price for the equipment was too good to look away from. I do like to take off my head phones and listen to music too so some decent speakers would be nice. Since I do play games a lot I do want something with a decent graphics card that could last me a few years, and a i7 processor. 8-12gb of ram would also be nice. I so far havent had much luck in looking for this yet. Hopefully you guys can help me out :) Thanks

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
not really like i said for your price range that's pretty much what you asked for.. lol you might try a different vendor but I think you would like it .. as for processor .. well its just a clock rate as far as gaming is concerned you should be fine the Gpu is always more important .. you could possibly look for one with an i5 and a better Gpu but then you would be looking at a dual core with hyper threading where as the i7 is quad core.

Kjwinden

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
One thing to caution about Asus computers though, if the Battery goes bad IT WILL NOT RUN. I troubleshot a friends Asus laptop and it would run intermittently. He said the battery started lasting less and less time and then bam it would only startup sometime. I tried starting the laptop with the battery out and the charger plugged in and it did nothing.

Correct me if this is no longer the case but its what I have seen with a few Asus laptops.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
ill just put it this way if i had the money i would buy it.. ausus is a pretty decent laptop maker they started out as a motherboard maker but they have been around a long time ..

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I wouldnt know about the battery but here is a tip try going to the ausus website and check there forums for any information about that particular laptop .. if there are any known common issues you will find out about them there..

bigazsben

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

TRENDING THREADS