Gamers Solve Real World Retrovirus Enzyme Secret

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
The Droid Bionic is faulty and emits a high-pitched noise when using the headphone jack. It is either due to lousy hardware (Motorola) or the lousy OS (Android). If you are in the market for a new phone, wait for the new iPhone in October; you will get much faster / more stable hardware and software.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]bunz_of_steel[/nom]Lets see this make headline news! Oh yeh.. no big hot shot celeb or politician to glamorize and exploit for $$TSM[/citation]
Guess what: it did! Last week I read about it from the headline news on Yahoo.

supere989

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
[citation][nom]GoldenGoose[/nom]Like why people keep buying apple products...[/citation]
ROFLMAO!!!!ROFLMAO!!!!ROFLMAO!!!!ROFLMAO!!!!ROFLMAO!!!!

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]I wonder if they got the idea from watching Stargate Universe??[/citation]

That is exactly what I thought when I read it. Eli FTW!

[citation][nom]RealCrowdSource[/nom]this is the correct way to crowd source, folding@home was just a brute force method trying to crunchy every possible combination, this uses the cognitive capabilities of users to solve the problem, participation was probably significantly smaller than a folding@home cluster because it required active participation but achieved results much faster than expected (that was some dedication considering this would be closer to your Tetris than CoD affair)[/citation]
F@H may be using a brute-force approach, but bear in mind that quite a few computational problems, even before computers, were first attacked with a brute-force approach. Then people who were clever (or too lazy to do the brute-force work) came up with a better way. The better way frequently came about simply because many people were exposed to the old way. So, perhaps the ubiquity and small success of F@H led to this next approach, which would not have happened otherwise.

One obvious historical example: Young Gauss' teacher assigned the class the task of adding all the numbers from 1 to 100 to keep them busy. Gauss came up with the now well-known formula for summing this series.

(Note that I'm not particularly defending Folding at Home. I'm trying to point out the value of starting with a brute-force approach and getting a lot of minds involved.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS