Games using wrong graphics card (Lenovo y410p) trying to use Nvidia gtx 755.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2018
Setting up a second hand laptop, I've found that games tend to use the integrated Intel graphics instead of the gtx 755m installed.

What I've checked
-----------------------------
• DxDiag
• Display Properties in the Resolution Settings
• Overwatch's settings

What I've seen
• DxDiag using the integrated graphics in display tab
• The monitor using "Adapter Type" which is the integrated
• Overwatch saying that I'm using the integrated graphics

What I've done
•Tried disabling integrated graphics in bios, only setting is to force integrated graphics, or use integrated and dedicated
• Set graphics card in Nvidia control panel to be the GTX 755M

What I'm looking for
• How to either disable the integrated graphics, or at least force games to use the dedicated card instead of the integrated card

Additional Information
Lenovo y410p
Intel i7 octo core 2.9 ghz each
gtx 755M in form of an UltraBay upgrade
Intel Integrated Graphics

Solution
Here's the steps on how to set it to default.

1. Open the "Nvidia Control Panel".
2. Select "Manage 3D Settings" under 3D Settings.
3. Click on the "Program Settings" tab and select the program you want to choose a graphics card for from the drop down list.
4. Now select "preferred graphics processor" in the drop down list. (You can see what the automatic option is listed as global setting) If you want to use the dedicated graphics card, select High-performance Nvidia processor.

Once it is running on the right one, test the system again and see if the problem persists.
Here's the steps on how to set it to default.

1. Open the "Nvidia Control Panel".
2. Select "Manage 3D Settings" under 3D Settings.
3. Click on the "Program Settings" tab and select the program you want to choose a graphics card for from the drop down list.
4. Now select "preferred graphics processor" in the drop down list. (You can see what the automatic option is listed as global setting) If you want to use the dedicated graphics card, select High-performance Nvidia processor.

Once it is running on the right one, test the system again and see if the problem persists.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.