GameStop Selling Used Games as New

Status
Not open for further replies.

allenpan

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
finally!, i hate when EB games go behind the counter and pull the dvd off their stupid paper bag and put back in the case and told me is brand new...for me brand new is even the box is not open....that is why i dont buy from them again...i rather buy it online

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
I used to work at a Gamestop here in San Antonio and can attest to this happening, though not often. Policy dictated that the game be used first, but this wasnt always the case.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
Gee, not even cars are allowed to be sold as new once they are purchased and driven off the lot. They must be considered used. This home store new shrink wrap practice must end.

tomm09

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
About time. They frequently open games then put stickers on the box then claiming it is new. Once it is opened, it is not new.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
and why do you think our economy is so bad !!!!
corporate greed
yuppie ripoff greed like madoff
i do hate the system of capitalism at least the way capitalism is nowadays.
hope the FTC does something about this type of ripoff.

Rancifer7

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
for PC games i can see this being a big problem. Its not as big an issue with some console games, but it is still dishonest. Just not dishonest AND mean.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I hope they get burned on this big time. I know the Game stop where I live does it. Because I went in to get a new PC game and asked if they had any copy's they said sure he pulls out a mangled box with no game in it grabs a white sleeve game in there used pile and hands it to me. This is suppose to be a MMORPG so of course i said no and he said why not its new.... thats when i pointed out on the package it stated the game could only be sold in a unopened state. so the game wasn't even eligible for sale they didn't seem to care and told me tough luck. I have also had friends get “new” games down there that where scratched of course game stop always insist its manufacture fault

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Several times I have gone to purchase a "new game" from Gamestop and they pull a game out of a sleeve and place it into a unwrapped box. Each time this has happened I tell them I'm not going to buy it unless they give me a shrink wrapped copy or a marked USED copy. If they don't have any shrink wrapped copies I ask them to give me the used price for the "new" game. They usually do but if not I'll just head over to any other store and buy the game.

The beauty of it is that game stop is only one of many many places that sells video games. If they try to screw me over I'll just go somewhere else in buy the game and they miss out on the sale. It is called "voting with your wallet."

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
If they gave me a good discount I wouldn't mind but if it is not "new" as in fresh in unopened box than I don't want to pay a new software price. On that note, if your "new" car has 205 miles when you buy it..., is it still new? How many miles does it have to have to be considered used?

G

I worked at gamestop for many years. The policy does exist, but it was only on the ones open for display. Also they never re sealed them. There only wrong doing is that those games should be sold at an open discount.

zhan_

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
This is just coming out now? Gamestop/EBgames has been doing this for a long, long time. When I worked there I would take home PC games and console games. When I brought them back, I either put a seal on the box or went over to the ol shrinkwrap machine and sealed them up. Most customers never noticed or just didn't care.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]If they gave me a good discount I wouldn't mind but if it is not "new" as in fresh in unopened box than I don't want to pay a new software price. On that note, if your "new" car has 205 miles when you buy it..., is it still new? How many miles does it have to have to be considered used?[/citation]
What sort of discount do you want? The $5 difference between (labeled) new and used games?

m3kt3k

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
UMMM they used to do this with hardware. Had a friend that worked there tell me Corp polcy was to assume all hardwas new and if it was returned because it was deffective it was a user issue and to put it back on the shelf. Face it they suck!

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Even when those places mark the games as used they're only a couple bucks off the new price.

I don't buy games at either of those stores anymore.

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
That's why you use a PC and Steam... guaranteed new. At least if you are going to buy a game that's the way to do it. Though if you don't plan on buying your game that's a different story.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
[citation][nom]gorehound[/nom]and why do you think our economy is so bad !!!!corporate greedyuppie ripoff greed like madoffi do hate the system of capitalism at least the way capitalism is nowadays.hope the FTC does something about this type of ripoff.[/citation]

Corporate greed is not confined to capitalism I hate to tell you. All monetary-based economies are basically the same. Unethical and corrupt. It's really the fundamental result of money and any competition-based economy.

astrotrain1000

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
I was a manager at a Gamestop for 3 years, and this does happen. However playing a game is not the same thing as driving a car off the lot, playing is does not degrade the quality only scratching it would do that. That being said I used to give people 10% off if they bought the last one and if they asked for a discount. Was I supposed to do that? Probably not but they never said anything to me about it. I don't think that most managers there would have the guts to make those decisions.

sdgamer

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
I've know about this for years! That's why I hate gamestop and their practice of selling open games as new. All of their "new" games are opened and the gutted boxes placed on the shelf. I don't know about you but to me new means NOT open, not scratched, and not played! They are mostly taking advantage of kids/teens. Shame on you Gamestop!

Status
Not open for further replies.