GameStop, Staples Share Your Credit Card Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

yiplong

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
I was a victim of one such fraudulent scheme. After complaining to the company, I get half my money back.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Great news story. It's nice to see two of the 22 companies listed. Wow. out of only 22 companies, you can neither give us a complete list nor even a link to find the list. Great work, Tom's. This is why I almost never visit this site anymore.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
"time to go back to cash."
That is STUPID.

Cash = no trail and does not build your credit history.

Have a problem with your credit card, someone used it without your auth or stole it? Report it. Dispute the claim. If your credit card provider rejects, you made a wrong move choosing them in the first place.

G

original article linked by /. :
http://www.ag.ny.gov/media_center/2010/jan/jan27a_10.html

specifically:
Cuomo has sent subpoenas to 22 well-known merchants that have deals with the three major companies that offer these discount programs: Webloyalty, Affinion/Trilegiant and Vertrue. The subpoenas seek information about retailers’ practices of sharing consumers’ account information with membership program companies; their knowledge of any deceptive solicitations; and compensation from the membership companies. The merchants being investigated include: Barnes & Noble, Orbitz.com, Buy.com, Ticketmaster.com, MovieTickets.com, FTD.com, Shutterfly.com, 1-800Flowers.com, Avon.com, Budget, Staples.com, Priceline.com, GMAC Mortgage, Classmates.com, Travelocity, Vistaprint, Intelius, Hotwire.com, Expedia/Hotels.com, Columbia House, Pizza Hut and Gamestop/EB Games.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
All the more reason to avoid questionable-looking "discounts," and always read the fine print before you send your credit card information to any online retailer, no matter how "legitimate" they are.

When it comes to sensitive information like that, you can never be too careful.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Why do you need a credit card history? So companies can know how stupid you are?

I haven't used a credit card in years and I have no problem with a "credit history". The BS about trouble getting car insurance or whatever is a scam to get you to use the credit cards. I have nice low auto insurance rates. I buy stuff when I can pay for it, rather than go into debt to a crooked thieving bank. But, suit yourself.

theguy82

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
I never pay cash unless I have to, not even debit. If I can get rewards for things that I purchase, why wouldn't I? Within a year or so, I can fly free (excluding taxes) anywhere in North America. I don't get this with cash. Yes you do run the risk of fraud, etc, but I am not about to become paranoid. It is a little extra work and I monitor my statements, but the hell with paying straight cash for everything.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]theguy82[/nom]I never pay cash unless I have to, not even debit. If I can get rewards for things that I purchase, why wouldn't I? Within a year or so, I can fly free (excluding taxes) anywhere in North America. I don't get this with cash. Yes you do run the risk of fraud, etc, but I am not about to become paranoid. It is a little extra work and I monitor my statements, but the hell with paying straight cash for everything.[/citation]
Additionally, you have the protection from the credit card companies... if you get scammed they take the hit, not you.

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Newegg and amazon are not on there. However:
Orbitz
Priceline
Expedia
Hotwire
That's pretty much every online travel agency. That...that makes me angry. You wouldn't like me when I am angry.

vicsrealms

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Yep, I would come apart if both NewEgg and Amazon were part of that list. Thankfully, they are not as they are two of my favorite online stores. Where would I get my books? Barnes and not-so Noble is on the list if I remember correctly.

choujij

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
If ticketmaster is found guilty, they should be forced to pay very large fee to all the people whose sensitive info they shared.

Not only are they monopolizing the ticket scene, but now they may be taking their conning one step further!!!

"Convenience fee" this!

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Hmm... too bad I can't encrypt my debit card.
/sarcasm

At any rate, why are we still using this old tech magnetic cards? Why can't we get some encrypted (AES 128 bit or better) RFID cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.