GameStop Telling Lies to Sell Warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
What lesson have we learned here?
Never trust anyone that wants to give to you a store warranty.

For many stores it's their bread and butter profit, and some put high pressure on their employees to sell, and even fool customers into buying them, even though they rarely apply until after the manufacturers warranty has expired.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Why would microsoft fry their own consoles when they are already having issues with RRoD? So they would purposefully add fuel to that negative fire? Sorry, but I don't see how he could expect to fool anyone on that story.

My first response would have been: "Oh, so why does Microsoft want to fry their own consoles?"

People these days...

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I've worked for companies like this. They pay insulting wages to their employees and the only way to earn any real money is to sell these warranties. They will also preach for an hour every meeting to sell sell sell warranties of course. They practically make it sound like your job depends on it. If the sales person is out of line it's only because they are doing exactly what the company wants them to be doing.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
This is why i never go in gamestop. If I'm going to buy a hard-copy of a PC game, I'll get it from Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. and NOT gamestop.

Everytime i go into the store, someone is bound to pester me to death about pre-ordering or and Edge card or whatever. I understand it's their job, but still!

(The best part is when i tell the die-hard gamestop sales Associate that "I;ll just buy it off steam and be done with it")

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Sorta off topic in regards to Xbox 360, I went to Gamestop a few months ago to purchase The Saboteur for PC and was asked (several times) whether my computer can handle the game and that if I were to open the game and my PC couldn't handle it I couldn't return the game.

I was quite annoyed, and sternly replied saying my PC specs (OC'd Quad-Core, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 4770, etc). The look on this n00b's face was priceless and he didn't say another word.

Gamestop fail.

vonarx

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
This is a strange story. I worked for gamestop for over 3 years(even met my wife while working there).

They don't even count warranties as something we were forced to sell.. All we had to worry about was Game Informer Subs and Reserves.

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
I don't shop at GameStop for this reason. They have tried to pawn of used games as new and, my favorite, 2 years ago I listened in as a clerk was telling everyone to buy the PS3 because it had better looking multiplatform games.

The best way to run a business is to build a solid relationship of trust with the consumer, not just sell them whatever you make the most money on.

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I will never, ever be a patron of Lamestop ever again. Those dirtbag scam artists sold me a complete set of LoTR movies. I got them home and watched them a few weeks later only to find out that they were conterfeit copies from Oscar demos.
I kid you not everyone of them was a counterfeit. 10 mins into each movie a message would pop up and say " for your consideration". I was aghast and steaming with anger. So I pick up the phone and call Lamestop to be told "Selling Oscar consideration copies was perfecty legal." Can you believe that crap?
So I end up taking the movies back to the store for a refund and they only offered to pay me for what they paid people to buy their used movies and not what I paid for them. Which was less than 50%!!! Their excuse was that they were o longer in the used movie business and would not be able to resell these illegal copies!! So I took the money and broke every disk infront of the little snot nosed punk and told him he was lucky I did not report the sale of pirated movies to the authorities.

LAMESTOP SUX!!!!

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Is Costco the only store that does their store warranty right???[/citation]

I've always had the best experiance with Best Buy's warrenty services when I've used them. I don't purchase them for everything, just high value items and I've been pleased with each service I've had to claim for the items.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I don't buy this story at all. I have gone to Gamestop at least 100 times at at least 7 different Locations and i have always been treated good and i have never ever had someone try to puch anything on to me that i didn't want. They always ask you if your interested in the lastest game that just came out before you leave but i don't blame them for that, it's their job to sell games. I think this story is made up or a very Isolated circumstance.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
A few months after the PS3 released I called GameStop and asked if they had a 20GB PS3.

- They told me none of their stores in Orlando had one.
- I should be buying a 60GB anyway.
- They then asked me when I was going to be by to get my 60GB.

I haven't bought anything from that GameStop since. However I did buy the 20GB PS3 from a GameStop 2 miles away on the same day.

I think it's more about the person than the company.

I mean I've been snubbed by NewEgg once as well.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The lesson I learned well over two years ago was to never buy anything from Gamestop under any circumstances. When they tried to sell me a "new" game that they pulled out of a CD sleeve and placed into a used game case that was the last straw. Also, their practice of buying your used games for 30 cents and then selling them a buck cheaper than the new price pissed me off too.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
It really depends on which Gamestop you go to. Before I moved the one I went to was in a mall and the people there were pompous idiots who used to me how dumb I was for buying something I liked but they didn't.

Now I live in Laramie WY and I can honestly say I've had nothing but good experiences with them. They weren't pushy when I bought my 360 and they're actually very helpful in recommendations when I say what kind of game I'm in the mood for.

It all depends on the people and the store more then the whole company itself.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I agree it's more about the person than the company. The smarter sales person think they can our smart you. So they sometimes go overboard. I think I just pick a shop with the dumber sales. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.