Gaming Headphones

frankdur

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Hello Internet,
So I am looking into investing in a new set of headphones. I am looking for something that provides excellent surrond sound. Like I wanna be able to hear something and be able to determine where it came from :D. Now I know gaming headphones can't fully emulate this feature, but they can get somewhat close I hope. Thanks!

first of all i believe we are technically called a community (we are people, not a bunch of interconnected servers and pcs).

they do make surround sound headphones with multiple speakers to emulate 3d sound. they arent as good as a surround sound speaker system but emulate surround much better than stereo headphones due to the fact that they have multiple speakers. often these are labeled as gaming headsets.

the kicker is that for the same price as a decent pair of surround sound headphones you can get a pair of good stereo headphones which sound much better in terms of audio quality.

its a give and take kind of choice. personally i find that gaming on stereo headphones is more than easy enough and i gladly sacrifice surround sound for audio quality. that might be just because i have a real surround sound set hooked up most of the time but hey... its a personal choice..

so yes... what you want exists. now you need to look for a model in your price range.

Oceanopticon

Honorable
May 25, 2012
I'm no expert, but my instincts say to stay away from headphones that are marketed specifically towards gamers. I would imagine they are heavily based on aesthetics, hyped sounding audio, and gimmicky features. Instead, go for headphones used by recording engineers - they are going to be optimized for audio quality, comfort, price, build quality, and be clean and neutral sounding. Sony MDR-V6s are one example.

I'm not sure how much benefit surround sound headphones can have. We only have two ears, so we only hear sound from those two sources. Our brain positions sound sources from around us due to the shape of our ears and cues based on our environment. When you put on a pair of headphones, those two factors are largely eliminated. I will admit though that I've never used surround sound headphones and am not even a heavy gamer.

Still, I think your best bet is to get something that you can enjoy games and music on for years to come with great audio quality. Get the most for your money.

TRENDING THREADS