Gaming Headset Help!

Sethy1124

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
I'm looking for a pair of gaming headphones with a mic for $100 or under.

-Requirements
3.5mm Jack
Adjustable Microphone
Comfortable with Glasses
Braided Cord
White or Black (OPTIONAL)

Yes, I know I'm needy but I'm having a hard time finding anything. Thanks!

-Seth

tacanacy

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
  • Deleted by tacanacy
Philips SHP9500 + V-MODA BoomPro

The headphone has a big soundstage, good imaging, separation and detail retrieval, and very good clarity and tonality. It has a flat/balanced sound signature and clean bass. It's open-back, over-ear, lightweight, easy to drive and has a durable build and a detachable cable. The clamping force is very loose, so it's not a recommended headphone for children or if you play VR and don't have a big head.

I'm comparing the headphone to AKG K52, AKG Q701, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700x, Beyerdynamic DT990 (600 ohms), HyperX Cloud, Philips Fidelio X2, Sennheiser HD700, Superlux HD668B and Superlux Superlux HD-681 EVO, which I all got for gaming (and because I love collecting headphones). I use Schiit Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber as my amplifier and DAC. All of my headphones have been burned in for over 20 hours, some several hundred.

People will probably recommend HyperX Cloud / Cloud II / CloudX and typically describe their sound as just 'great', but I do not recommend these at all because they have a small soundstage, bad imaging and they sound very muddy with grainy bass.

As for the mic, you should listen to recordings on YouTube to determine for yourself if it reproduces vocals clearly enough and cancel out background sound sufficiently. It has a braided cable, gooseneck, mute button and a volume control for game audio.

Closed-back headphones have cups with solid shells that largely isolate sound from passing in and out.

Open-back / semi-open-back headphones have cups with perforations/grills that allow outside sound to freely pass in and sound from the drivers to freely pass out. How loud you hear outside sound and how loud people around you hear the sound emanating from the headphones depend on your volume, of course. The sonic benefit to open-back is generally a big soundstage and, hence, better imaging.

Soundstage is perceived space and environment of sound. It determines whether the sound is perceived to be coming from inside your head or beyond the drivers and around you. It can be compared to virtual surround sound; both attempt to produce the same spacious, three-dimensional effect. VSS can sound more ambient and immersive, which will depend on the processor (CMSS-3D, Dolby, SBX, etc.), but it degrades the sound quality and diminishes detailing due to compression from digital processing. You might also experience less accurate imaging and separation. Note that a deep soundstage is equally important as a wide soundstage.

Imaging determines how accurately sounds/objects are positioned across the soundstage. Imaging is inherent to the audio content, so if the game is recorded or mixed poorly, a headphone with good imaging won’t improve the positional audio.

Separation is separating individual sounds from a range of sounds. Good separation properties make it easier to filter out or discern overlapping sounds from other sounds and track them.

Sound signature is a frequency response / sound profile. For example, a V-shaped sound signature emphasizes the bass and treble while recessing the mid-range. A flat/balanced sound signature doesn't over- or under-emphasize these frequencies and attempts to reproduce the original recording accurately as possible. A bright headphone emphasizes the treble and can subdue the bass. A warm sound signature emphasizes the bass or subdues the treble.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Audio 0
B Audio 1
Teiro Audio 0
vencellll Audio 1
Kaza503 Audio 0
Kohaku Bekunin Audio 0
R Audio 1
A Audio 1
C Audio 1
A Audio 2
V Audio 1