Gaming Headset: Shock One 5.1 or Shock Spin HD 7.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoroify

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Every time I want to purchase an accessory/item for my computer there must be a choice between two good items of the same type.

I had to pick a GPU (650ti or 560) ended up buying 650 Ti; also had to pick a mouse (CM Storm Advance II or Roccat Kove+) ended up buying CM Storm Advance II. Now I am facing that silly moment of having two good items but I have to pick ONE of them.

First and foremost; the Shock One costs $72 whilst Shock Spin HD costs $56

Now, to consider the specifications of both headsets:

Shock One $72
Channels: 5.1
Frequency Response: 20Hz ~ 20 KHz
Connector: USB only
Driver unit: 40mm
Ear pad: Velvet & Leather pads included
DTS Certified: Yes
Features:
- Innovative Noise Cancelling Microphone
- Enhanced Bass Performance
- Replaceable Ear Pads
- Gaming Application for Gamer

Shock Spin HD $56
Channels: 7.1
Frequency Response: 15Hz ~ 20 KHz
Connector: USB dongle & 3.5mm plug
Driver unit: 50mm Neodymium Magnet
Ear pad: Velvet
DTS Certified: No
Features: N/A

I would like to hear from anyone whom is of experience, take in note that both headsets provide 'VIRTUAL' surround sound, though Shock One is DTS certified; which is something.

What draws me back from the Shock Spin HD is that the frequency response is lower than 20Hz and the microphone is a standalone. other than that I find it great since it provides a virtual 7.1 surround sound.

Is the Shock One worth the extra price? will it be any difference that it has 5.1 surround and not 7.1?

I find that the Shock Spin HD is better than Shock One channels-wise, other than that the Shock One has all the points for the quality and performance.

What do you think?

Solution
I play Battlefield 3, whereas directional accuracy is important for me, it gives me a full advantage to know if an enemy is right at that corner, or is sneaking up to me when I am camping on a crane on Noshahr Canals, I have to be aware, according to Arctic P531 they are all giving positive feedback regarding the quality, sound accuracy, crisp and the bass the headset produces.

I think I will go for it..

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
first off>
1, screw the 5.1/7.1 channels, you only get 1 speaker per ear, so the number can be easily dismissed :D
2, the quality of virtual surround depends heavily on the sound card you have
3, and USB headsets are usually to be avoided /quality reasons/ :D
4, DTS is just an 5.1 audio format for/from digital theatre systems which uses lossy compression /which is better than normal, but nothing to really brag about/ :D

So, bottom line> If you have at least a cheap gaming sound card (and if your sound card supports virtual surround) it would be nice to consider getting Ultrasone Alienware OZMA 5? I know, they are kinda rare and not exactly easy to get, but then again, they are worth every penny :D

neoroify

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

Thing is, these are the only two options I've got, either them or normal pair of headphones like Shock Foldable and Shock Spin, both are stereo.

But obviously these two has a better build quality so I am asking which one is preferably between the two? from my researches Shock One looks premium, has leather cushions which isolates sounds, and that is great.

These are the only headsets I can pick from:
http://store.arabhardware.net/catalogsearch/result/?___store=english&q=Gaming+Headset&___from_store=arabic

Anything above 500 EGP is a no from me.. xD since that would be too expensive.

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Well, you got to know, I am heavily biased against any 'gaming' headsets /especially usb headsets/; but since you put it that way, the Shock ONE is way better imho....

sifatraquib

Honorable
May 25, 2013

Is it compulsory to get one from the link you provided? If no, you can get some pretty good ones, at least better than the two you chose. Thermaltake doesn't really provide that much of a good headsets. And I would again tell you not to spend much for a 'gaming' headset. An A4tech HS800 can also get you good footstep noise while the environment is silent.
Anyway from the two you chose The Shock One would be better. And if you can get it from somewhere else and strongly want a gaming headset, I'd recommend you to go for Steelseries Siberia V2 at least.

neoroify

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

Siberia V2 costs 750 EGP, which is way too MUCH for a gaming headset.
Here is a full list of headphones that are in my budget range are available for purchase in my country:
ARCTIC P531 5.1 Headset ~ 450 EGP ($65)
Cooler Master CM Storm Sonuz ~ 450 EGP ($65)
Tt eSports Shock One ~ 450 EGP ($65)
Tt eSports Shock Spin HD ~ 400 EGP ($57)
Cooler Master CM Storm Ceres 400 ~ 350 EGP ($50)
Logitech G330 Gaming Headset ~ 300 EGP ($50)
Tt eSports Shock Foldable ~ 300 EGP ($50)

sifatraquib

Honorable
May 25, 2013

Go for the Cooler Master CM Storm Sonuz, I used to have it. It's good.

neoroify

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
CM Storm Sonuz frequency ranges from 10 Hz to 20 KHz which is too bad, I found the Arctic P531 (which is priced the same) has true 5.1 surround, cheap and frequency ranges from 20 Hz to 20 KHz each driver except front speaker 18 Hz to 20 KHz, reviews say that it has a very crisp sound and directional detection, whilst Cooler Master products are familiar with their lack of quality.

Theoretically Arctic P531 seems to be way better than Shock One and CM Storm Sonuz, what do you have to say?

sifatraquib

Honorable
May 25, 2013
I play both COD4 and CSS and here's what I got to say about the CM Storm Sonuz, it's one really comfortable headset (at least to me and I have a bigger head :p ), it has the analogue connector so later you can hook it up with a sound card which I did. I hooked it up with Asus Xonar U3. Trust me, I could hear even the dead silence. Now let's go to the 'quality' stuff. Well I take care of my things. It had a short cord which did bother but nothing more than that. I used it for 6 months and then got a Siberia V2 and I don't really feel too much 'upgraded' whereas Siberia V2 is 7.1 ;) So trust me, 7.1, 5.1 really don't matter much.
That's about it.
You may go with the Arctic P531 too. The specs seem finer. Do this, provide me a review of that one if you get it. :D
And we can only advice bro. The final choice is always yours.

neoroify

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I play Battlefield 3, whereas directional accuracy is important for me, it gives me a full advantage to know if an enemy is right at that corner, or is sneaking up to me when I am camping on a crane on Noshahr Canals, I have to be aware, according to Arctic P531 they are all giving positive feedback regarding the quality, sound accuracy, crisp and the bass the headset produces.

I think I will go for it..

Solution

sifatraquib

Honorable
May 25, 2013

Ah sure. Provide me a personal review later on.
Happy gaming. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.