Gaming laptop advice $500 to $700

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

death_relic0

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
hey guys,
i made a similar thread a while ago, but buying a laptop got kinda delayed then, but now its time IA, and ive found a couple of new deals id like suggestion on

ok my requirements are simple.. the best laptop i can get to do gaming... i know the budgets low, and im not expecting miracles.

the games i intent to play are mainly strategy (real time/turnbased) and online games..

realtime/turn based games include Star Craft 2, civilization 5, hearts of iron 3, the new command and conquer series, and such..

online games shouldnt be a problem, and am just mentioning them for the heck of it, since even a good integrated gpu can handle them.. games like league of legends and runes of magic (and not world of warcraft :D)

any ways, ive heard that starcraft 2 is quite cpu heavy, so a good cpu is essential

any ways id rather spend less than $600, but will to go upto a maximum of $700 if there is a significant performance gain

the last time i made the thread, people suggested i get this:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&series_name=dv6zqe_series

with the 7690, and A6 MX processor, and 25 dollar coupon it comes to $620...

on the other hand theres the ACER, that is $600 (before $50 rebate), with an i5, but a 7670m
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2008030

for the price, even if u ignore the rebate for a bit, it seems that the acer is a good option. the only thing that worries me is that ive heard that acer notebooks are low quality, also, although i would love watching movies and stuff on the 17inch screen, im worried that because of the greater resolution(1600x900 compared to the 1366x768), it wont be able to play games at good quality

finally, if someone could tell me of a deal/coupon i seemed to have missed, or a better laptop, please to dell.. also, i have a lil less than a month to finalize my decision IA, so are there likely to be some better deals coming up for which i should wait?

also, a month ago i remember there was a deal of hp with a 7690 graphics card with an i7 for $700 .. thats a kind of deal for which im willing to go upto $700

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I mostly check slickdeals.net (for everything) and techbargains.com (for laptops only).

I check about every 4 hours (when not sleeping) on slickdeals.net and every hour if I actually need to make a purchase (since it only takes 10 seconds to check for new deals.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
DO NOT forget about memory type! That Dell had DDR3, which means its performance is worse than the HP with GDDR5. If prices are comparable, go for the GDDR5.

That will probably be less of an issue after new architectures launch at the end of the month, but remember to check it.

If you wanted the HP dv6z Quad w/ A6-3420M, it's $553 again when you choose the upgrade to the 7690M: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=series_detail&category=notebooks&series_name=dv6zqe_series&jumpid=em_r329_hhos_6125&userMail=epp&aoid=120892&email=null&rid=E7925506472AA43270C568C949961F5A

Status
Not open for further replies.