Gaming Laptop - Asus vs Lenovo

Greavar

Estimable
Apr 22, 2014
So, I'm in the market for a first time laptop purchase. I'm a web developer, and also a gamer. So these would be the primary two uses for it. I'd say my budget is around the 1k mark, but I'm will to place another 2-300 max for something worth while.

I came across these two, and was wondering which is superior. Over-heating, and weight are two of my concerns (as well as hardware)

http://www.amazon.com/G750JM-DS71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IKF2H12/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-59385820-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00F32ZBN6/ref=psdc1_t2_B00HIY8TNQ_B00F32ZBN6

Just wondering if I could get some advice to steer me in the direction of an awesome laptop. Either one of these or even something else entirely. Thank you!

860M is better than the 750M SLi
860M is a single card setup so there's less heat
the asus rog series is renowned for having excellent build quality and cooling
both are heavy laptops, but the asus rog is 1kg heavier and isn't very portable - you need a big ass backpack
asus rog inevitably wins.

Kane5784

Estimable
Apr 22, 2014
Both system are very good choices and very similar. Here's a breakdown by components.

CPU: Processors are almost identical, the Lenovo has a slightly slower CPU graphics (not that you'll be using it) and supports Intel's VT-d for better virtualized I/O devices. Win=Lenovo

GPU: The Asus most likely has better graphics with the 860M, however there are 2 variations of the 860M (GM107 & GM104). The slower variation would be comparable to 750M SLI, if your game supports SLI. Win=Asus

HDD: The Lenovo wins this hands down with the additional 8GB SSD cache. This is no comparison to a full SSD, but is leaps and bounds above just a HDD.

Memory: Lenovo, you get 4 extra GBs

Other considerations: The Asus has a bigger screen (same resolution) and weights a bit more. The Lenovo has a backlit keyboard. The Lenovo exhaust is on both the left and right sides, the Asus exhaust is out the back. Both draw their air in from below. I know air flow direction can make a big difference based on where you're using the system.

Greavar

Estimable
Apr 22, 2014
Kane threw some useful information out there to consider. Just to build upon what he/she has noted:

CPU: While both are near identical, the Asus' CPU is soldered to the board. This means that, IF you were to consider upgrading the processor in the future, you can only do so with the Lenovo.

GPU: SLI setups only benefit you when your program is programmed to utilize SLI. When a program is not designed to take advantage of dual mobile graphics, it runs better when SLI is disabled (running on one out of two cards). This is something to really consider before you dump this much money into a laptop expecting dual graphics cards performance on everything! Also, if the Asus is using the 860M Maxwell, then it will run even cooler and more efficient than the Kepler 860M.

HDD: The 8GB cache drive supplementing the 1 TB drive will help, but in the end, the mechanical drive is still a 5400 RPM mechanical drive. If you want a night and day difference in overall performance, find a good SSD and move your Windows installation over to it. You can then keep the 1 TB drive for data storage.

Memory: 16 GB on the Lenovo will run slightly better than 12 GB, but not so much because of the capacity. Instead, the memory configuration on the Lenovo will run in what's called "synchronous dual channel" because the capacities of the memory modules are identical (either 2 x 8 GB sticks or 4 x 4 GB sticks). The performance edge is really minuscule by comparison, though.

Both have backlit keyboards, also.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
The Lenovo is good if you've only got $800-1000 and cant save up the rest and need it now. The 860m is performance wise equal to the 770m from last gen. The cooling on asus is exceptional and quite, Lenovo will run hot and loud. Lenovo is 15 and asus 17", Lenovo roughly 6-7lbs, asus 10lbs. Lenovo decent mid quality keyboard, asus mid top end quality keyboard. Lenovo, 2-3 hours battery light/medium tasks 1 hour gaming. Asus, 3-5 hours light/medium and 2 hours gaming. Screen quality, Lenovo decent, asus above average. Quality of laptop itself, build quality, Lenovo you get what you pay for beefy gpu at a cheap price, asus your paying more for component than compared to msi and such, but build quality is exceptional. If you've got enough for the asus or you can save up and get it, it will not let you down or disappoint. If you cannot budge over $800, then Lenovo.