Gaming laptop... buy or build

speedyo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I have been searching and it seems like barebone laptops are pretty rare to find nowadays. I was looking to spend less then 2k and have something for years to come. Would i benefit from building my own or just buying? I have seen alienware 17 which most ppl say is all hype and branding. I have always liked the ROG Asus laptops. I am just trying to get the biggest bang for the buck. If you have any sites for barebones or advice please let me know. I may just be overlooking them on Newegg and TD. Thanks

Rookie_MIB

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Not sure exactly how you'd be able to build your own. If you mean -configure- your own, that would be a different story. Due to design/space limitations and thermal budgets, usually you're going to 'buy' a gaming laptop as rolling your own custom build is just not possible.

building your own laptop is far harder than building a desktop, its more fiddly - and due to various facts about business - it does not give the best bang for buck. Right now the best way to get the highest bang for your buck is to have another company configure a barebones for you.
sites like xoticpc.com (One of the best reputable brands for laptops in the USA) do this service.
The best known barebones are clevo / sager models, with a few MSI barebones in the mix as well.
there are various sizes of clevo barebones, from ultra thin to SLI monsters.
for 2k the best bang for buck gets you an 880M + I7 with a whole host of extras, like improved thermals, fantastic internet, 1080p windows 8 etc. with backlit keyboard and track pad: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8258-clevo-p157sma-p-6988.html?wconfigure=yes
there is a 17.3' version as well - same price and just as customisable.