gaming laptop for college?

charlottefubuki

Prominent
May 4, 2017
hello, guys, I need some recommendation on gaming laptop I have a budget around $2000 and it must portable too! and also should I wait for next year NVIDIA Volta and Intel 8 generation for a laptop?

Solution
Hello, Charlotte:

Well, I did some research, too, and here are my thoughts:

1. OLED is superior to any other display technology currently available in terms of screen quality and speed. It is also fairly new, and I haven't been able to find any long-term tests or reviews. There are lots of people worried about burn-in, but no-one has yet stepped forward and actually provided an answer based on personal experience, i.e. ownership.

2. You may have come across these web sites yourself, but I'm going to link them anyway:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3083401/hardware/the-momentum-for-oled-laptops-and-tablet-pcs-has-faded.html

This article offers some business details about OLED laptops, but it's more than a-year-and-a-half old so my...
- Just how "portable" are we talking? Below 5lbs?
- And what kind of games do you typically play?

If you are willing to wait until Spring, the new generations of Intel CPUs and nVidia GPUs are likely to be readily available, but my guess is that it's going to take at least a year after that for laptop manufacturers to cram this extra power into a useable gaming format.

Even now, the 10-series nVidia GPUs are causing all manner of overheating issues in current gaming laptops simply because the GPUs are too powerful for the standard laptop chassis - even with multiple exhaust solutions.

On the other hand, the jump from Intel's 7th generation CPUs to the 8th generation promises to be quite significant - a 40 per cent increase is widely reported. But it's likely going to be rather expensive, and even $2,000 may only get you half-decent gaming specs. But those are just (my) speculations, of course.

charlottefubuki

Prominent
May 4, 2017
1. for "portable" I like it weight around 6lbs
2. for game I play mostly RTS and RPG like Total war Warhammer and nier automata but I also play Competition game like CSGO but I don't often play CSGO and watch some movie

and after I do some research I find that Alienware 13 R3 OLED is a good choice but I worried about burn-in and latency problem what do you think of it?

Hello, Charlotte:

Well, I did some research, too, and here are my thoughts:

1. OLED is superior to any other display technology currently available in terms of screen quality and speed. It is also fairly new, and I haven't been able to find any long-term tests or reviews. There are lots of people worried about burn-in, but no-one has yet stepped forward and actually provided an answer based on personal experience, i.e. ownership.

2. You may have come across these web sites yourself, but I'm going to link them anyway:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3083401/hardware/the-momentum-for-oled-laptops-and-tablet-pcs-has-faded.html

This article offers some business details about OLED laptops, but it's more than a-year-and-a-half old so my guess is that the industry has either rectified the 'burn-in' issues since then, or decided to kill OLED development altogether.

https://www.kitguru.net/lifestyle/mobile/laptops/leo-waldock/alienware-13-r3-amazing-oled-screen-with-qhd-resolution/
This KG article is from July this year, but it's a traditional review so there are no details about burn-in. Instead, the reviewers are quite over the moon about the OLED panel and rather less so about the Alienware itself.

Finally, there's this article from September this year:

https://www.windowscentral.com/oled-laptop-displays
Here you learn that (a) burn-in is still a concern, but less so today, (b) some manufacturers are still pushing OLED laptops, so the technology isn't completely dead, and (c) steps are apparently being made to minimize burn-in, but it's always going to be there.

3. From your personal details, I have to say that $2,000 is rather a hefty price for a laptop screen, even if it's the best one available. As a student, you may appreciate the screen in more everyday situations than you would a TN panel, but unless you're majoring in photography or graphical design, I think you'd be better off with a decent and much less expensive IPS panel.

4. As for gaming, your budget will get you a host of powerful 6GB or 8GB 1070-based gaming rigs, most of them with more RAM and some of them with an IPS panel. They're designed to run at 1080p, and so are most of the sophisticated AAA titles you'll come across.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution