Gaming Laptop Help

Arezwwe

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
Here is a survey I filled out on some other site.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
Roughly $2500 ($3000 is my absolute max)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
15in - 17.3in

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

Online most likely

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Not really

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
I'd consider, but prefer new.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
I will travel with it often

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Yes, very demanding ones.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
3hrs or more

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
this question is confusing but pictures will suffice

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
Windows 8

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read.
1920x1080

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
Doesnt matter

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
No

15) When are you buying this laptop?
Between now and October

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
4 years+

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
I'd prefer 1TB HDD and 256MB+SSD

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
Would like one, but not needed

So far, Iv'e found these 2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233033
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231644

Could you guys recommend anything?

Solution
Portable, MSI Gs ghost. 15' you can get 3k screen. 17' you get 1080p. i7 4710, 870m, 16gb ram 2xmsata and 1 2.5". 4 hours battery, very slim 4 lbs.

MSI GT70 dominator pro. $2500 gets you i7 4810, gtx 880m 8gb vram, 32gb ram, 2x128gb msata in raid 0 (that's 1500mbps read 1200mbps write), 1tb 7200rpm hhd, bluray burner.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Portable, MSI Gs ghost. 15' you can get 3k screen. 17' you get 1080p. i7 4710, 870m, 16gb ram 2xmsata and 1 2.5". 4 hours battery, very slim 4 lbs.

MSI GT70 dominator pro. $2500 gets you i7 4810, gtx 880m 8gb vram, 32gb ram, 2x128gb msata in raid 0 (that's 1500mbps read 1200mbps write), 1tb 7200rpm hhd, bluray burner.

Solution

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Yup, that's the one im talking about.

I just picked mine up last week. Benchmarked and tested the crap out of it, so any questions feel free to ask.

Went from the asus G750 to the msi gt70. Started with the Asus G750 Jm, then another jm, then a third jm. Then went to the js, then another js. Then went to the jz model. Gave up, tried the msi, perfect so far.

Went through so many asus as the cpu during rendering, gets to 100c and thermal limits. Thought it was just that specific laptop, then thought maybe it was a product line, then thought maybe it was just that specific model, then thought it was bad luck. Now, its just all new 2014 g750 models that cant handle 100% cpu load.

For gaming though, the asus was top notch. The msi gpu hits 92c (thermal limit), and gets throttled. typically it just throttles from boost clocks (989mhz) to stock clocks (920-950). I haven't noticed any lag or glitch or anything during any gameplay whatsoever.

The asus gpu wise, (g750 jz model with 880m) runs 80-85c while gaming. Never throttles.

But my msi, first thing I did was upgrade the msata drives to 3x crucial 480gb drives, changed the 1tb hhd to a 1tb Samsung evo ssd. Replaced ram with my previously owned crucial vengeance. Replaced the thermal paste (its really easy and I was already inside the laptop with everything taken apart. I notice a 10c cpu max temp drop since repasting, and the gpu throttling has become less often. The single fan is louder than asus dual fans. But anything but benchmarking/gaming you wont notice it. Gaming wise its minimal with short 5 second burst to a bit higher rpm. The max fan is in a normal room with background noise not even an issue.

Before you spend $3000 on a laptop, id head over to the official forums for these notebooks. Read some reviews, guides, problems, ect. Get a real feel for other peoples experiences to help you.

Asus G750
http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?157-G750-GX550-G550-and-G56-Gaming-Notebooks

MSI
http://dragonarmy.msi.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Also, depending when you want to buy. MSI is coming out with a new GT72 Laptop. A tiny bit lighter and slimmer, uses two fans now, buttons are a bit different, build uses more metallic, same specs as the one you linked above. Starts around $2800? Should be available in a few months.

That said, I knew this before I bought mine. I could've waited, but it wasn't a simple wait as I need a powerful portable notebook all the time so id have to go without after having been used to it for years now. But even then, the GT70 is still a great laptops, build is good, the only real thing the new one 'might' be worth it for is two fans. But even alienware and asus dual fan designs couldn't cool the cpu during major rendering (which I need), so reason I didn't pull trigger. But gaming wise, the new one should help with the gpu not well pretty much running at 92c the whole time while gaming. But as I said, even at max temps and throttling, other than Assassins creed black flag and crisis, all my games run at 60fps.

Again, any specific questions please pm me. Check out those forums to get a actual persons view on the laptops, ask questions on there if you want. I'll be on both, and am on almost daily.

Arezwwe

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
Wow. You've been more helpful than I could have hoped. Thank you. I will search the forums a bit and return here with new questions i'm sure.

I took a particular interest in your 1tb Samsung evo ssd however. Iv'e never owned a SSD and am not sure what I should be looking for exactly. I have been looking to own for some time now however.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Solid states are great. I have 5 for my desktop and they give good performance, but my raid cage/bay is about the same for speed. But in a laptop, its by far the best thing you can do. A $3000 gaming laptop with an hhd, other than gaming wont feel like a $3000 computer. But a $300 computer with an ssd, other than gaming, will feel 10x as fast as a $3000 laptop with an hhd.

The 1tb Samsung is $500 but often on sale for $400. you don't need to get anything that big. typically you just want windows and your commonly used programs on the ssd. Games and music and everything else can stay on a hhd. you wont notice a difference either way so no need to spend way more for no difference. Typically a 128gb will hold everything you need, but 256gb are faster and give you more room to spare.

I have 3x 480gb and a 1tb, as I render. Which is limited by read and write speeds, if your specs are good on laptop.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

That's great. It really looks cool. Wish they'd release more info. And wish it was for sale already. Glad they finally changed their gt series laptop chasis, and the dual fans should hopefully make the whole single fan argument nul in void.

Arezwwe

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
I am primarily a gamer--a high end one at that. I also from time to time dabble in things which require rendering (hobby based things only). What would you say are some major cons if any with you current MSI?

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Coming from the Asus G750, I'm probably the perfect person to ask.
MSI rendering A+, Asus B-
MSI gaming B, Asus A

Cons of the MSI itself.
-Bottom of laptop is full of vents, means you cant just have it on your lap, you'll need a cooling pad. Which coolermaster 19 works perfect but is $80.
-Single fan - noise is probably two notches below the point where it would bother me, 4 notches below what I wouldn't stand for. Put into perspective, Asus is quiet and i'd say its 1-2 notches below the MSI.
-Single fan - Temps for gaming are pretty much a solid 92c (which is max for the chip). The chip boosts almost the whole time, gives stock/boost clocks for 80% of the time. And doesn't affect gameplay at all.
-Track pad - is small, using the larger asus I came to know and love and use all windows 8 gesters. The msi I can scroll with two fingers or move the curser with one finger, single/double tap. That's about it. Theres more but its more miss than hit.
-Battery - same 60 min of gaming, but average 4 hours on office setting and using just internet and minor stuff. The asus gave 5 - 5 1/2
-Quality - Build wise - while its really solid and actually has no quirks or problems or any weak areas, just isn't the 'feel' (sort to say) that the asus had. But it is really solid, no flex, no give, no creaks, no nothing. Its really an A+ build, but idk how/why asus just seemed to blow it away.
- Warranty sticker - You 'must' break it to do anything to this laptop. The asus let you add/change hhd and ram without any sticker at all. But I did call and talk to msi tech support 3 separate times, and each time was reassured several times that breaking the seal would not affect warranty at all, unless I physically damaged an internal part. I also had them make a note on my account. But, that thought/fact is still there that I broke the sticker in my mind.

Now, all of these cons, except for the trackpad, really have no negative user impact. That's just all I can come up with, vs the asus.

But cool things about msi.
-Speakers are 100% crisp no matter volume %.
-When external mouse is used, trackpad automatically disabled, and separate on/off trackpad buttom right above the pad
-I got a 4810 vs the 4800. Newer gen, and an extra 100mhz
-quick buttons above keyboard, (boost fan, awesome to have and to have instant one button access to), (dragon gaming center, awesome to have, tells you your resource %, gpu/cpu temps, fan speed, battery life, and network %)
-keyboard while it doesn't light up until windows loads, there are a bunch of different colors and effects you can pick, plus the ability to create macros makes 'anything' easier. Like sony vegas pro, don't have to use or learn provided hot keys I can make my own and for anything
Included 6 months of gamecaster (eh NVidia new shadowplay is easier), but that also includes broadcaster which lets you stream/record anything on your desktop/screen. Anything! (6 months is $10 per month). Plus I never would've tried it had it not been the free membership, now since trying it, I will be a paying member once my 6 months is done no doubt 100%.
-Included Bluray burner
-Components are available and cheap. Asus battery/charger for asus are $150 a piece and never in stock. MSI battery is $65 from amazon/ebay/xotic/ect. Charger $65 from amazon/ebay/xotic ext. Msata raid daughterboard, Asus is non existant unless you buy from someone who took it out of their own personal laptop. MSI amazon/ebay $110.
-Upgradable - upgrade graphics card, upgrade cpu, upgrade heatsinks, upgrade daughter boards, repaste, anything.

Those are just my big Awesomes!!!!

**edit**
One con, is the use of NOS. Which uses the battery for power as well as the wall. MSI only uses a 180w power adapter, while asus uses a 220-230w, alienware ships with 240w power adapters. I have no idea the logic behind why 180w when 200w is needed to drive both components at 100%. Which also is wear on the battery.

That said, I barely ever see it being used, though there is no way to disable other than taking th ebattery out when plugged into the wall.

PRO - MSI (at least in the us) comes with a 2 year warranty, and when you register online which you need to do anyway, they extend it another 3 months, giving you 2 years and 3 months. Asus and dell only offer a 1 year. That's another huge pro in my book.