Gaming laptop help

TheMightyMalock

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Solution
I don't keep an eye close enough on laptops to suggest others, but I think you will be fine with either of the ones you are currently looking at.

For the MSI Ghost Pro, it is quite a bit thinner and I can see why you would be worried about it overheating, it has a really powerful GPU inside of it. However i am sure that MSI has thought this through, they tend to be really good quality stuff. It helps that in the MSI Ghost Pro, while they still use a quad core i7 CPU, they use a 35w TDP CPU for it, one with lower clock speeds and power consumption. This helps make up the difference. Then I would say they might of pulled the clock speeds back some on the MSI Ghost Pro also for the GPU in order to make it avoid causing too much heat...

IInuyasha74

Honorable
I don't keep an eye close enough on laptops to suggest others, but I think you will be fine with either of the ones you are currently looking at.

For the MSI Ghost Pro, it is quite a bit thinner and I can see why you would be worried about it overheating, it has a really powerful GPU inside of it. However i am sure that MSI has thought this through, they tend to be really good quality stuff. It helps that in the MSI Ghost Pro, while they still use a quad core i7 CPU, they use a 35w TDP CPU for it, one with lower clock speeds and power consumption. This helps make up the difference. Then I would say they might of pulled the clock speeds back some on the MSI Ghost Pro also for the GPU in order to make it avoid causing too much heat problems. The result is there is still a lot of the performance in a thinner lighter computer without havnig to worry about heat as much.

For the MSI Dominator though, it has a full speed CPU in it at 45w TDP and the GPU is probably clocked higher. So its going to have a lot more power on the CPU side and maybe a little on the GPU side.

Solution
MSI ghost is a literal furnace on your lap.
Whilst on battery life the ghost has to limit power, and even then still get's ridiculously hot. When it get's hot, it throttles itself even further.
The dominator is fatter, but has much better cooling capacity.
if you don't mind the added weight, definitely get the dominator.

Joeteoh99

Estimable
Herald
Jul 20, 2014
Same as you, I am looking for portability. I am thinking of the MSI GS70 2PE STEALTH PRO or the GIGABYTE AORUS X7v2. It is a tough decision because thin laptop will fry an egg. So it really comes down to PERFORMANCE or PORTABILITY.

I hope this helps you with your decision making... :)