mistermeta

Estimable
Sep 11, 2014
Hello everyone,

Been reading a lot here in Tom's Hardware forums about fellow Kernel-41 sufferers and I must say it makes me sad and happy at the same time to see that I'm not alone.

I will write the detailed situation here.

-Have the laptop for 2+ years.
-This ONLY happens when I'm gaming. Especially games that are poorly optimized and quite intensive on both CPU and GPU. Some games run for hours before giving this, some doesnt cause at ALL. And in one particular game I'm getting the error in 10 minutes after playing the actual game (meaning it doesnt crash on character screen or game menus).
-Haven't made any recent changes to the hardware or overclocking.
-Been using power-surge adapter on a new flat (not sure how well the electricity is built)
-I have an adapter (charger - which if I'm not mistaken, the PSU for the laptop??) that keeps giving a brief lightning when I plug it for the first time.
-The system notified me that my battery is bad and should be replaced - kept delaying buying a new one, though this has been the case for some time now and don't know if its exclusively the reason for this. Plus this keeps happening without the battery on and only adapter is working.
-I've given the computer for suspecting drivers (as computer was running without these issues for quite some time) and had a fresh windows-7 install and dust-thermal pasting.
-It can't be overheating (max I see are 80C on GPU and CPU. I've had this computer running even on 90+C, it just throttles back and reduce frame rates.

After reading tons of Kernel-41 errors I've narrowed it down to a few possibilities:
-PSU (since its a laptop this can either mean cables/connections or adapter itself)
-Ram
-Multiple installation of drivers for sound etc (I have this too - btw, just feeling like it cant be the issue after 2+ years :p)
-Motherboard

I mean, had this laptop top notch running for 2+ years. I've been playing very intensive games since I bought it so I don't know if its related to hardwares not being applicable to each other. I will be going for repair soon and would be great to have some solid feedbacks from the experts.

Any help is appreciated. So sorry for the gigantic wall of text :(
Here's the technical output of the error:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 11-Sep-14 23:59:01
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: MONSTER
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-09-11T20:59:01.950802500Z" />
<EventRecordID>2463</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>MONSTER</Computer>