Gaming laptop or desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mannfam

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
I currently have a MSI GAMING X GTX 1080 + a I5 6600k in my rig, with a 1440p display.
I would also like some portability so I was thinking of getting a laptop like http://amzn.to/2dn4lOu
but I don't have money to spare, should I return my rig (Costed around 1800 Dollars) for a gaming laptop?

Solution
It really depends on how important mobile gaming is to you.

Generally speaking, desktop and mobile CPUs performs fairly similar to each other as long as the both have the same number of cores and the same clockspeed. The limiting factor has always been the GPU. Traditionally, mobile GPU has always been slower than its desktop counterpart. For example, the mobile GTX 960m is less powerful than the desktop GTX 950 which means the desktop GTX 960 is considerably more powerful than the GTX 960m.

However, the advent of nVidia's Pascal generation GPUs, the GTX 10 series, has change the game significantly. In the past nVidia released desktop and mobile versions of a GPU generation such as the desktop GTX 960 and the mobile GTX 960m as...

Hellfire13

Respectable
Apr 20, 2016
gaming is not worthwhile on a laptop if u wanna enjoy true gaming...and with that kind of hardware under the hood, i can die for before giving it all up for a frivolous decision...chances are u ll never get that kind of configuration on a laptop, and even if u do get, it will cost a fortune...and still wont be as enjoyable as desktop gaming...
its not a very gud decision in my opinion...rest is upto u...

AqwBroders

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016

Depends on what you need the portability for, if you're going away for lets say 6-7 days a month, then maybe but if you only want it to visit a friend or something, NO.

Hellfire13

Respectable
Apr 20, 2016
do u intend to play the same games on laptop as u play on desktop...rather high graphics games???
if ur answer is yes, then there is no point...
on the contrary if u plan to keep the desktop for gaming and the laptop for mundane work with portability, i think a low to medium end laptop should be a feasible idea...u can play some not so high end games on it as well...

It really depends on how important mobile gaming is to you.

Generally speaking, desktop and mobile CPUs performs fairly similar to each other as long as the both have the same number of cores and the same clockspeed. The limiting factor has always been the GPU. Traditionally, mobile GPU has always been slower than its desktop counterpart. For example, the mobile GTX 960m is less powerful than the desktop GTX 950 which means the desktop GTX 960 is considerably more powerful than the GTX 960m.

However, the advent of nVidia's Pascal generation GPUs, the GTX 10 series, has change the game significantly. In the past nVidia released desktop and mobile versions of a GPU generation such as the desktop GTX 960 and the mobile GTX 960m as mentioned above. Now, both desktop and laptops uses the same GPU chip. The ones used in laptops are slightly de-tuned to reduce power consumption and heat output. The performance difference between desktop and laptop Pascal generation GPU of the same model # (like the 1060) is 10% or less depending on the game. This marks a huge performance increase for gaming laptops.

The GTX 1060 GPU used in laptop is basically equal to the performance of the mobile GTX 980m while consuming a little less power. This "low end" high performance GPU for laptops marks a major shift in laptop gaming performance. If the GTX 1060 is equal to the GTX 980m, then imagine how powerful the mobile version of the GTX 1080 is in relation to the GTX 980m. For reference, the mobile GTX 980m is a bit more powerful than the desktop GTX 960. That means it is definitely not as powerful as the desktop GTX 970. The mobile GTX 1080 would be about equal to two desktop GTX 980 in SLI configuration.

In short, playing games on laptop took a major leap forward with the release of nVidia's Pascal generation GPU. Of course, upgrading laptops is still rather limited compared to upgrading desktops.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.