Gaming Laptop Question

maxwku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
So I bought a gaming laptop from best buy (G752VL-BHI7N32). I'm trying to figure out a couple of thing but I'm having difficulty finding the answers. I would like to know if my graphics card is soldered or can be upgraded. I would also like to know if the 2GB video memory can be upgraded. And finally I was wondering why this particular version is only available at Best Buy?

Also if anyone thinks that there is something better for the price I have 14 days to change my mind please let me know.

Games I like to play:

Total War Rome 2
Total War Attila

Here is what I bought:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-12gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-silver-copper-black/4453403.p?id=1219749489377&skuId=4453403

Thanks!

ModMonster

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015
Most laptops are sodered . I wouldn't worry about upgrading it though. Its pretty good. You should have NO problems playing modern video games from medium-high or maybe even max settings.

k1114

Distinguished
The gpu is soldered and no matter what device it is, vram can never be upgraded. Vram is always soldered with the gpu. The G752VL is also offered with a 970m but that will require a mobo change. The difference between the models are small and parts should be interchangeable to all G752VL models but you should contact asus to make sure. That probably would cost too much to be worthwhile anyways. The one on newegg is about the same price but 16gb ram. The only other better deals I saw was something like xoticpc. I see some for around the same price but with a 970m.

maxwku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
ModMonster, K1114,

Thank you guys for your replies. Based on both of your answers I now have a better feeling about my purchase. I will try to run some benchmarks on my Total War Rome 2 game tonight to see what this laptop can do. Also I was able to talk Best Buy down to $1100 for the $1449 laptop so I don't think I can go back to the store and show them the newegg price and ask for money off. I will look to upgrade what parts I can with the money I saved (more ram, ssd).

$1,100 is a normal price for a laptop of that class with that video card. The games you play are not very demanding but do want a decent CPU and the 965 video card is a good mid-range card. If you like the design of the system, you can't really do much better.