Gaming laptop: special cares?

alanps

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Hey there!

I have a MSI GE72VR 7RF Apache Pro and since is my first gaming laptop I'd like to know if there's stuff I should consider, such as:

+ Should I unplug it from the power, let the battery drains fully and then charge it while using it, then repeat? I work at home with it around 9-10 hours a day. Battery is not removable.
+ Turn it off at night while sleeping? I'm used to let the system ON at night so it updates games, software, OS, etc. so the computer is running 24/7.
+ Temperatures: while playing PUBG or CS:GO I have to turn on the "extra" fans (or increase the revs) with a button that does exactly that. If I don't, I can feel the system overheating on the keyboard. I never measure the temps though and never experienced any issues or blue screens, is just annoying since you can't hold down a key without burning lol. Is that a problem or something I should worry about? Should I buy those tables or gadgets with extra coolers for laptops?

Thanks guys! :)

Solution
Do not unplug the laptop to allow the battery to drain. Laptop batteries can only be recharged so many times before they wear out and must be replaced. According to the following link, MSI laptops are designed to stop charging when the battery reaches 90%; though it can vary depending on the model.

https://www.msi.com/faq/nb-1747.html

Whether you want to keep your laptop plugged in overnight is your decision. I simply turn off my laptops when I do not use them. Leaving it on can result in "wear and tear". In the short term it's not a big deal. In the long term it might decrease the longevity of the laptop's components.

Electronics and heat do not mix well. Excessive heat can definitely shorten the laptop's lifespan because it can...
Do not unplug the laptop to allow the battery to drain. Laptop batteries can only be recharged so many times before they wear out and must be replaced. According to the following link, MSI laptops are designed to stop charging when the battery reaches 90%; though it can vary depending on the model.

https://www.msi.com/faq/nb-1747.html

Whether you want to keep your laptop plugged in overnight is your decision. I simply turn off my laptops when I do not use them. Leaving it on can result in "wear and tear". In the short term it's not a big deal. In the long term it might decrease the longevity of the laptop's components.

Electronics and heat do not mix well. Excessive heat can definitely shorten the laptop's lifespan because it can cause internal components to fail. Based on user comments and some profession reviews of laptops with an i7-7700HQ and GTX 1060, these laptops typically runs hot when stressed. Both CPU and GPU seems to run in the 80c to 90c range. You could purchase a laptop cooler to help decrease internal temps by a few degrees, but it may or may not work depending on if there is anything within the laptop that can potentially block airflow. For example, I purchased a DeepCool X4 cooling pad (4 fans) for my Dell Latitude 3540. The i5-4200u runs at about 75c and the Radeon HD 8850m runs at 63c when they are fully loaded, but the cooling pad did not help decrease the temps. On the other hand, when I use the cooling pad with my Dell Inspiron 15 7559 (i5-7300HQ & GTX 960m), the CPU temps dropped from 73c to about 69c; I don't recall the temps for the GTX 960m.

Solution

alanps

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

Thanks for such a great reply!

You are true about the battery reaching 90%, mine is always at 90% or 98% and says "not charging" and the power led button is in orange (not charging), so that's great.

Do you turn it off or just put it to sleep?

I think I'll try a cooling pad, worths the shot. I'm not planning to stick longer to this laptop since I'm trying to sell it and get a new one with a GTX 1070 or 1080, so I'm not really worried about lifespan but I don't want to ruin its component because overheating or something.

Thanks again for your help! :)