Gaming laptop suddenly has sluggish performance and unplayable fps

Jhertz07

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015
Hi I have an HP Omen 15-5013dx laptop with nvidia 860m gpu as well as the on board Intel graphics. A few days ago my computer started running sluggish, seemed like I had a virus, which kinda made sense because I had downloaded freeware a few days prior to this in order to convert some audio files. So I ran some virus scans using multiple programs (avast, avira, nod 32, windows defender), as well as malwarebytes. Nothing. Additionally, games that I could previously run flawlessly (League of Legends and Skyrim) were now unplayable (8 fps no matter what graphics settings).

My first reaction was to make sure that the games were using the nvidia graphics card using nvidia control panel, no effect. I also tried running the games on the intel graphics to see if the nividia card was the problem, but it had no change. Second I uninstalled and then did a clean install of both the Intel and nvidia drivers, no effect. Then I updated all my drivers, no effect. Using task manager, nothing was taking any memory or cpu resources that could be affecting it, so I ruled that out as well.

It would probably be important to mention at this point that I had a similar problem a few months ago, which I solved by following a very specific set of instructions on a forum post that I found for doing a clean install of the graphics drivers. I have since cleared my history and cannot find that post.

I did some googling and downloaded msi afterburner. I didn't know what most of the numbers meant since I have never used the program or done anything with my gpu. One thing I found odd was that while I was trying to run a game, my nvidia gpu was at 99% capacity. Is this normal?

Also, I don't know if this matters, but I have my computer set up using dual monitors with my laptop monitor and an external one. Any help or advice with this issue would be much appreciated. I'd rather not do a factory reset since I did one a month or two ago due to some driver issues and it is a pain, but if that is the only solution then I will. Thanks.

Edit: important detail I forgot - before all of this happened, my computer started crashing and blue screening (3 times in one day). This was a day or two before the games were completely unplayable, but has not crashed since.

Jhertz07

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015

Yes, I could do this, but since this is the second time this has happened I don't want to have to do a clean install on a regular basis. I'd prefer if I could figure out what exactly isn't working properly.

Jhertz07

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015
In case anyone stumbles upon this post with a similar issue, I have resolved it. What ended up being the issue was an outdated bios. Apparently when I was updating all my drivers, I was choosing Windows 10 as my operating system. Even though I have windows 10, the laptop came with win 8.1 installed, so that is what the drivers should have been selected as.

Many thanks for taking the time to come back and post your solution. Much appreciated!! :D