Gaming Laptop Suggestions? ($800 cap sadly)

RawrMan

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Sorry I don't really know a lot about computers. My brother is really sick so I'm trying to get him a laptop while he's stuck in bed. He's into gaming (Planetside 2, Civ V) and likes messing around with Photoshop.

Sadly $800 is my hard limit, and that's REALLY pushing it but I don't want to get him one that sucks.

It has to be from Amazon though, because that's the only place I can get it financed.

Any suggestions?

Solution

Does he need a laptop? Because with your tight budget and him wanting to game a laptop is not a very good option, it would be hard to find a laptop that would run those games well, with a desktop it would be a piece of cake especially if you build it your self.
You could try and find one over here ...

diazalon

Honorable
May 12, 2013

Does he need a laptop? Because with your tight budget and him wanting to game a laptop is not a very good option, it would be hard to find a laptop that would run those games well, with a desktop it would be a piece of cake especially if you build it your self.
You could try and find one over here :
http://www.reddit.com/r/suggestalaptop
They would be happy to help you.
Good luck!
P.s i could not find any ones on amazon that could run those games well

Solution

RawrMan

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Alright. Thanks for the suggestion. And yeah sadly it has to be a laptop, he's confined to a hospital bed. I may end up having to wait a few weeks and get one for $1000ish it looks like. Damn.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
lenovo y410p is a good one, and is around the $800 range:

14"
i7 4700mq cpu
nvidia gt 755m gpu
8 gb ram
standard 1 tb hdd (can upgrade it if you want)
wireless of course

Maybe pick up a cooling pad if gaming on it, in my experience laptops tend to get hot with games. But i think there is still some funds to spare with this laptop's price ($769 last i checked)

**According to gamedebate.com civilization v should be able to run fine at high settings, medium or high for planetside 2. Although it can probably do better, I think the screen size setting I was using was bigger than what the laptop's screen is

diazalon

Honorable
May 12, 2013

Nope $929.99 on amazon

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Oh, I didn't see the amazon bit. On lenovo's website they are selling it for the price I mentioned, but according to what you said earlier apparently you can't order from them.

So how exactly does your payment situation work? You or whoever is paying for it will only pay if it's from amazon..meaning you can't buy it from the laptop makers themselves?

**If no one else can find a good one, I might recommend looking at something without a dedicated gpu and with a 4th generation intel processor, or possibly look into amd laptops since they seem to have better integrated graphics (i know more about intel than amd). Here is an example that, while not really coming very close to the y410p, still might play the games he wants on medium settings: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-G505s-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B00CRXZUD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382819007&sr=8-1&keywords=g505s
I would probably recommend looking at something stronger than the above if you can find it, but here might be something to fall back on