Gaming Laptop Suggestions

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I was thinking of spending more time in the family room and less time on my desktop. I was wondering about gaming laptops. I hate Alienware. I had my finger pointing on the new Asus ROG G752s but I noticed MSI's Gaming laptop, the GT80 and Acer's Predator 17. I was all set to purchase the G752 with 256GB SSD (it's not out yet) but then I came across the GT80.

Anyone familiar with either? Both seem to have amazing specs; audio and cooling capabilities. I'm only looking at the ones that have the 980GTX video card. I thought the ROGs were #1 but seems like the MSI GT's look great as well. On MSI it says you can swap out the video card when new ones are released.

I'm looking to be under $3000. I play Cities: Skylines, Civilization V (I'm not a fan of beyond earth), The Sims 4, and soon; American Truck Simulator, Rollercoaster Tycoon World and Planet Coaster. Online games, I think I will leave for my desktop.

There is not too much to separate the gaming laptops, they all use pretty much the same components. Look for reviews of the screen and warranty length, those are likely to be the deciding factors.

www.xoticpc.com has a lot of them to pick from. I would not bother with a 980 video card fro the games you use, you will be spending a lot of money to run games that can run on a much cheaper system at high settings. A system with a 960M is more than good enough for SIMS4, Civ, etc...

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

see GSYNC is only available on laptops with the 980 or is GYSYNC preferable on a desktop with a higher resolution than 1920x1080. I see both laptops have 1920x1080.

Are the components gimmicks? ie. Killer network card

ASUS," Sonic Suite 2

ASUS designed with Nahimic® to develop Sonic Suite 2 for the ROG G752. Sonic Suite 2 comprises of Sonic Studio and Sonic Radar to give you immersive gaming audio" (MSI has Nahimic also)

MSI GAMING:
•Exclusive ESS SABRE HiFi DAC for lossless, high-quality audio
•Nahimic Sound Technology delivering 360⁰ immersive audio experience
•Sound by Dynaudio system
•True Color Technology for increased color contrast and greater image detail
•Keyboard by Steelseries with single color backlighting (red)
•SteelSeries Engine 3 to personalize your own style
•Killer DoubleShot Pro (Killer Gb LAN + Killer 802.11 a/c WiFi) with Smart Teaming

I saw xoticpc's prices are way higher than Amazon. I was reading that a few ASUS ROGs with GSYNC didn't have them, some screen issues and lockups. I saw some MSI Gaming laptops have had lockup issues but I'm only paying attention to the ones who bought from Amazon and not the marketplace.

Every laptop will have some issues, I doubt you will find any where someone did not say there were issues with it, I would not put too much into those bad notes unless there are a lot of them.

I've never tried the Killer network or any of the other fancy things they add in like audio enhancers. You'd have to look for some reviews of the tech and see if it has benefit.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Agreed. I saw on Newegg, many seem to hate the ROG laptops; which is odd. I might be pointing to MSI's laptops. They have removable battery I believe :) Im still made my Alienware laptop about 2 yrs old and the battery is kaput already. It's not a removable battery and they don't make parts for it at all.

Both seem to have good cooling mechanisms. Seems like either will be good. It's not like Im playing in tournaments with it lol and any FPS online games; I go to my desktop to play when my daughter is in bed sleeping. I've been taking a break from online games. I use to play APB reloaded and I was playing Elite Dangerous. I might play Elder Scrolls Online later and possibly Star Citizen if it's ever released but any intense online games I would play on my desktop. Perhaps ESO on the new laptop.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Oh and I forgot to mention; Microcenter near me has the ROG laptop I was looking at, I might check it out. BestBuy online carries it but they never have gaming laptops in store.

For the games you are playing the laptop you have suggested are a bit overkill. Like the others have said xotic pc has a lot of laptops that will do the job for cheaper. I have only had experiences with asus, the n series not the rog but I might get one in the future. I have heard the msis are very good for their value. You could look at auros range as they are portable and powerful as you said you want the option to take the laptop to other parts of the house.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Where I sit if I have my laptop open is facing the TV with the couch nearby. Instead of going into the other room where my PC is located. I like power :) Next summer I'm going to redo my desktop and go all beast mode- either ROG or MSI Gaming and go SLI and pair it with a ROG GYSYNC Monitor or Acer's IPS Gsync monitor (or 2) :)