Uberviolence

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
Hey guys, I've got a budget of around £1000 and am in need of a new laptop.
I currently have a Sony VGN-AR61S which is getting very long in the tooth.
I also have a desktop which is really showing its age (Intel Pentium G620 2.6ghz CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series GPU, 2gb RAM).
I want to run the newest games on High settings (Witcher 3/Fallout 4) and would prefer a 13/14" laptop as my previous thing was a behemoth and not very portable.

I have 2 options.
Option 1: Dump the whole budget into a gaming laptop
Lets me game on the go but seems like a lot of money to invest in something which could age and become irrelevant quickly.
I've been looking at : HP Pavilion 15-ak002na Gaming Laptop, Alienware 13 or NEW! Inspiron 15 7000-Series.

Option 2: Build a gaming desktop (or upgrade mine!!) with part of the budget and use the rest to buy a cheap portable laptop.
Problem with this is I don't know how much cash I need to put towards a desktop rig which will run said games at decent settings vs how much I need for a decent cheap laptop.

I'd also appreciate 802.11AC and (if poss) a usb3.1 port.

This is driving me mad, I know my budget isn't incredible for what I'm asking (Hey, we'd all have a Razr Blade if we had the money right?) but I'm confident you guys can steer me in the right direction.

Many thanks :)

Solution
I would for sure just build a new pc. For the money you can build a much better pc then the premium you pay for a good gaming laptop. Usually desktops always beat most laptops but the 900 series nvidia and new amd laptop gpu's are closing the gap. A new desktop is still better for the money.

Kevern_11

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
I would for sure just build a new pc. For the money you can build a much better pc then the premium you pay for a good gaming laptop. Usually desktops always beat most laptops but the 900 series nvidia and new amd laptop gpu's are closing the gap. A new desktop is still better for the money.

Solution

TheTechZone

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
Okay, yes, this is solved but gaming laptops get really hot due to the gaming PC standards. The CPU/GPU has to be powerful to run a gaming PC and "laptop cases" are short of space meaning it heats up really fast and isn't big enough for two or more fans. A gaming desktop and a cheap laptop however should run better because the laptop won't have a fast CPU/GPU it won't be as good so it has less work to do meaning less heat while the desktops can handle the heat because you can install many fans. You can install them where the PCI are on the case or in a bay or a standard fan slot on the case meaning it cools down faster and the CPU still gets it's fan but it's better because it's directly above. If the desktop gets warm you can add more fans or a fan monitor. Desktops can also be upgraded easily. Just get the part you need and you can install it but make sure it's the correct one while on the other hand, laptops don't have the space for it most of the time. I think you should go for Gaming Desktop and Cheap Laptop.