Gaming laptops and their future

Deadly_geek

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014
This thread was made to help people and me decide on how to make a premium laptop purchase that is tiered more towards gaming.

It also just to access the general thought on where you see the future going with this niche. Also this thread was made to discuss some of the new technologies being implemented into the "laptop"

Solution
On the topic of the future of gaming laptops, as a representative and employee of a gaming laptop provider, I'm surprised to see the growth in mobile GPUs and their performance against desktop GPUs. Obviously, the desktop GPUs are still faster than their mobile counterparts, but the performance gap shrinks each year, which I find incredible.

MSI's GT series are powerhouses that run tremendously well against desktops with the added benefit of portability. I can see gaming laptops as the future of gaming and the growth is only going to continue. Take for instance MSI's GT80 with its mechanical keyboard (I've seen and tested this in person) and the machine is truly amazing. Who would've thought that a mechanical keyboard could fit into a...

Deadly_geek

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014
Im look for a gaming laptop to purchase, I was going with the 2015 alienware mx17 till I heared it wasn't "upgradable" as I would say the 2014 mx18 which I like. I was think of getting a mx18 till I heard it was discontinued.

Im looking for a big screen powerhouse with Dual graphics and features. I plan on owning for a long time. My price range is at about $3000 max.
Im wondering should I wait till later in the year

On the topic of the future of gaming laptops, as a representative and employee of a gaming laptop provider, I'm surprised to see the growth in mobile GPUs and their performance against desktop GPUs. Obviously, the desktop GPUs are still faster than their mobile counterparts, but the performance gap shrinks each year, which I find incredible.

MSI's GT series are powerhouses that run tremendously well against desktops with the added benefit of portability. I can see gaming laptops as the future of gaming and the growth is only going to continue. Take for instance MSI's GT80 with its mechanical keyboard (I've seen and tested this in person) and the machine is truly amazing. Who would've thought that a mechanical keyboard could fit into a laptop.

As companies continue to push the boundaries of technology, we can soon see laptops as a standard versus desktops. The world is becoming more portable and gaming will follow this trend, in my humble opinion.

On the topic of a dual GPU, I'd recommend against a dual GPU and maybe just opt for the single-GPU 980M. Dual GPUs have a huge problem with cooling and even with a cooling pad underneath, your laptop runs danger of overheating. There just isn't enough airflow in laptops to allow for a cool SLI experience. A 980M will last you for years and keep in mind, new GPUs are incremental performance increases from the old generation.

Solution