Gaming Machine (Laptop, possibly pc) $600-700 Price Range

Growliath

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
Looking for gaming laptop around the 600USD range, not too fussed about display and track pad (I will be using a separate screen, keyboard and mouse e.t.c.). I have been strongly considering the Lenovo Y40-80, but have heard some edgy reviews, with the most common problem being lack of color and shallow keyboard which wont be a problem for me, the occasional faulty machine/ slow performance.

I could look into building a custom pc, as portability isn't a major factor...

Solution
Mine was a general statement. Laptops within the $600 - $700 usually has the nVidia 840m or 940m GPU.

The Lenovo Y40-80 has a Radeon R9 M275 and it seems to be marginally faster than the 840m which mean it is probably equivalent to the 940m.

Growliath

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
I don't really play any "high intensity" games with probably the most being Battlefield 3. As for other games I play Skyrim, Fallout 3/NV, TF2, and Assassins Creed 2/3, all at medium to high settings.

With a $600 - $700 laptop you are basically look at decent performance with low or medium settings at 1366x768 resolution depending on the game. The more graphically intensive the game is the lower the settings must be to get good performance. In that price range you are more or less looking at the nVidia 840m or 940m in a laptop.

Skyrim should be playable with at least medium settings. Fallout 3 & NV are older games so I don't think high settings will be a problem. Not sure what the system requirements for Fallout 4 will be, I assume they will be announced before the game is released in November. It uses a modified version of the Creation Engine in Skyrim.

I can't say anything about AC 2 & 3 since I never played AC before.

Growliath

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015

Sorry, are you referring to performance on the Y40? Cheers for that though :).

Mine was a general statement. Laptops within the $600 - $700 usually has the nVidia 840m or 940m GPU.

The Lenovo Y40-80 has a Radeon R9 M275 and it seems to be marginally faster than the 840m which mean it is probably equivalent to the 940m.

Solution