Gaming/Movie 7.1 Headset - $100

ShadowProject

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I am looking at getting a new 7.1 Headset for gaming and movies. Music not so much as I have read gaming headsets don't provide a very good experience.

Specs:
7.1 surround
Comfortable band
Most probably wire unless someone can prove to me wireless is worth it (Better for use with consoles etc)

Also maybe compatibility with Dolby Headset.

Solution
yea music is tough because not a lot of it is meant / recorded to be heard in surround. many audiophiles prefer stereo when listening to hi-fi samples. a good soundstage will do wonders

gaming and movies however do fairly well with a 5/7.1 since the intent is to simulate realism and presence.

that being said, there are a few 7.1s under $100 worth their weight..but not many.

Steelseries V2 is a solid headest - the bass is punchy but not too strong, and the surround is pretty decent

Vengeance 2000 is a good ~100 wireless pair if you do wanna go that route, though wired generally will have much better quality sound

honestly tho if you can save a bit more, the ATH-M50 is likely the best budget model you'll be able to...

audioranger

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
yea music is tough because not a lot of it is meant / recorded to be heard in surround. many audiophiles prefer stereo when listening to hi-fi samples. a good soundstage will do wonders

gaming and movies however do fairly well with a 5/7.1 since the intent is to simulate realism and presence.

that being said, there are a few 7.1s under $100 worth their weight..but not many.

Steelseries V2 is a solid headest - the bass is punchy but not too strong, and the surround is pretty decent

Vengeance 2000 is a good ~100 wireless pair if you do wanna go that route, though wired generally will have much better quality sound

honestly tho if you can save a bit more, the ATH-M50 is likely the best budget model you'll be able to find for around that price range. it's stereo but will spank all 'gaming' varieties

peace brother. happy listening :)

Solution

ShadowProject

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

I have always wanted a V2 headset!! So I think I may end up going in that direction. I currently have a stereo headset that does okay. The audio technica headset has great reviews all over from what I have read but I was looking for a model with a mic. Can I get get an attachable mic as such?

Any chance of explaining why a good stereo headset can be better than a gaming equivalent??

Thanks for the awesome response too :D