Solved! Gaming/Multimedia Laptop Advice

paneer

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Hi. I am currently looking for a new laptop. I am torn between a multimedia one and a gaming one. I want a combination of both. Any help will be appreciated.

1_What is your budget?
$1,400 max

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.4"-16"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
I had a WSXGA one before and dont want to downgrade. 1680x1050 is my current one, so something simmilar would be nice.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I had a desktop replacement before and it was too big...so I want one with a 15-16" screen with a good deal of processing power. Nothing smaller than a 15.4".

5_How much battery life do you need?
2hrs + on the net atleast.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I definately want to play games. I normally play Medieval Total War (high), WOW (high), Assasins Creed (high), FIFA (high), GTA- SA (Medium). Am looking for a 512 gig dedicated graphics minimum....but 1 gig would be nice.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
I play games a lot, am always online downloading stuff, and constantly watch movies from my laptop, and occasionally connect it to my tv.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Not too important to me. Even 250 gb is good enough. I mostly use an external.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
www.newegg.com
Doesn't really make a difference where I buy from though.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Around 4 years

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
Must be able to be on and online for extended periods of time...days. Screen quality is really important to me as I currently have an excellent one and dont want to downgrade on that. A remote for media stuff would be nice...but that I see is only available with hp or desktop replacements so that might be asking a bit too much.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Not really important to me. Performance is the most important thing. No preference really.

13_What country do you live in?
USA

I currently have a Compaq Presario X6000 laptop. It has served me well over the years without many problems...but its now done its time and needs to be replaced. It is a 17" desktop replacement with a WSXGA screen. The thing is, after I got it, I promised myself to never buy one so heavy and with such a bad battery life. It gave around 45 minutes while on the net or playing music. I love it and hate it at the same time because it performs so well and screen display is beautiful. That is why I want to downgrade to a 16" if possible....but I could make due with a 15.4".

I want a really good display, good graphics card, and a processor of around 2.5ghz. RAM can be around 4 gig as long as it will allow me to upgrade to 6 or 8 gb later on. I occasionally connect it to a tv to watch stuff that I downloaded such as movies. The display on the tv is much better than when my friend connects his laptop to the tv. I want to keep this quality or upgrade. I am not sure if it is beacuse of havin a WSXGA instead of an WXGA, but there is a huge difference. I dont have a HD tv so I dont know if the HDMI output on new laptops all give the same resolution, or if I have to search for a WSXGA or UXGA again.

The current laptop I am interested in is the SONY VAIO FW series
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665893580

Is this the best out there to suit my needs, or is there a better one for the price. It has a good graphics card, is light...for its size, and good processing power.
How are Sony laptops? Do you pay just for the name, or is it as good as they make it out to be

Any help would be appreciated

G

I wish I had seen your message earlier, I spent $1100 on a FW370 in March, been in the repair shop twice, fist bad IO controller, of course they wiped the disk. then 1.5 months later the disk is bad, waiting to get it back. Also if you get one with integrated Intel 4 series graphics forget playing any real games. Dont get me wrong-for the money the FW had everything I wanted. but two repairs in less than 4 months. So if your Vaio starts to make an occasional sad sounding beep and click from under the touchpad, immediately backup your critical data, because the blue screen of death and no boot will be coming soon. Also am upset with Fry's-i bought a 5 yr warranty, only to have them find some tiny bit of case damage when I went in about the second problem. I didnt damage it, their idiot check in clerk turned it up on side to get serial. But Fry's now says that may negate teh warranty, and I may have to pay to fix case before I can rely on teh warranty being valid. Overall I will never buy another Sony or buy at Fry's.

maldinilovegame

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
If you are super gamer(play most high end games like Crysis), with your budget I would recommend Gateway P7807u-FX
If you are not a super gamer, there are many models available for you in ASUS, HP and Toshiba