News Gaming PCs: It's time to buy — and not build

Jun 1, 2021
It's painfully obvious you're new to this conversation. Yes, the prices of computer hardware is outrageous right now. But the big factor that you forgot to consider with your 'cheap' pc is that the major manufacturers, like the Dell you so prominently advertised, create proprietary systems that are designed to be thrown in the trash. Oh, like the HP junk laptop that came with a hard drive too small to run Windows update (hint, wipe and install Ubuntu).

But, if you're still convinced that tossing your money and computer away while promoting even more e-waste is a good idea, may I recommend the tech savvy giant, WalMart. I hear their Gateway... I mean Shenzhen Bmorn computers are just amazing (note the sarcasm).

Reactions: d0x360

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Dell is shipping systems where the GPU has the wrong vbios so cuda cores are disables...insane. plus everything listed by RAKONE.

I just bought a 5800x, motherboard and ram from Amazon yesterday so tomorrow I'll be removing my trusty but old i7 5820k and upgrading. I have a 2080ti so I'm all set on the gpu side. Well I could actually sell it on eBay and then buy a 3080 on ebay but I refuse to support scalpers so I'll wait to upgrade the GPU. The 2080ti can handle 4k60+ anyways... Even better if the game has DLSS.

OH btw... I found out that a certain high end boutique company will sell you just a gpu (and only 1 per address and cc#) with a $200 markup over MSRP. So technically I could get myself a 3080, or 3080ti for $200 over MSRP at any time...I just don't think it's worth it. I won't name the company but it's not one of those garbage ones like Dell or iBuyPower. It's high end and probably the last big high end boutique outlet left... They are just as old as Alienware but they have no corporate overlords.