Gaming/Work Laptop ~1500

scjohnson243

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
1. What is your budget?
1500 - 2000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17" would be nice

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920 if possible

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop Replacement - I will be primarily using this for my work (programming, cad work, etc) but would like to game on it when i'm out of town in hotels and such. - I play games like Battlefield 3, Diablo 3, etc.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not really important, will be plugged in 99% of the time

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Higher is better, Diablo 3, Battlefield 3, etc, etc.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I'm a programmer, so oracle/PHP programming mostly - At times some graphics editing (Adobe suite)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
As much as possible! :) 750+GB would be nice.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I would like to use NewEgg, I already have an account setup, and have always had good luck with them

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Longer is better -- 3-4 years would be the max

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I never really use any of these... I guess would be nice, but not really a game changer either way

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm not as set on a specific brand, I have used Dell in the past, but seems like the alienware are a bit higher priced, and I dont really want a glowing laptop for work (Looks cool, but I dont want to give the impression that its a "toy)

13. What country do you live in?
US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I hear quite a few people reccomending Sager - but I have no experience with them, and Newegg does not carry them. The current computer I was looking into was:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152346 -- But quite a few people seem down on the 675M Geforce Card.

Does anyone have any information that may help, or an alternative suggestion?

Thank you very much.

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
This laptop by Samsung has gotten pretty high reviews. Many reviewers say it has one of the best screens of any laptop. It also comes with a 1.5TB hard drive and a Blu-ray player. It also has the GTX 675 (which is based off the old GTX 580) but it still offers fantastic performance and decent battery life. I personally think this is one of the best 17'' laptops at that price with those specs.
Good luck.

scjohnson243

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Thanks Radio - I have been hearing a lot of people talk down about the 675, so I was getting a little nervous, this will be my laptop for the next 2-3 years and I use it almost daily, it would be really annoying if I bought something that just didn't preform, and have a miserable few years. :)

If I could play the latest games (not have to be on "ULTRA" settings, but a decent display) I'll be happy for the next few years.

I know the other parts will support my database/programming work easily.

Thank you again, I'll look into the samsung also!

scjohnson243

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
So - I went there and took a look just out of curiosity...

Sager NP9170 / Clevo P170EM Sager NP9170 / Clevo P170EM
- FREE!! Continental (U.S. Lower 48 - UPS Ground Only) Ground Shipping on ALL Sager Laptops (Enter Coupon Code: "SAGERFREESHIP" during order process)
- 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen (1920x1080) (SKU - S1R506)
- NO Professional Monitor Color Calibration
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- Sager - 3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3610QM (2.3GHz - 3.3GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP) (SKU – S2R174)
- -Stock OEM Thermal Compound
- AMD Radeon HD 7970M (2048MB) GDDR5 DX11 [User Upgradeable] (ETA: Early June) (SKU - S3R155)
- No Video Adapter
- No External Mobile Display
- 12GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (3 SODIMMS) (SKU - S4R557)
- Remove All Branding
- Standard Finish
- 80GB Intel 310 Series mSATA SSD - Preconfigured as an OS Drive ( Operating System – Drive C: )
- 750gb 7200rpm (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) (SKU - S5R306)
- None Standard
- HDD Raid Settings - OFF
- Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (When selecting a Hard Drive in the Optical Bay, No Optical Drive is Included) (SKU - S7R455)
- No Extra Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy
- No Back Up Hard Drive
- NO External USB Optical Drive
- Internal 9-in-1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD/Mini SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo)
- No Back Up Software
- Bluetooth Included (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)
- Sager - Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth (SKU - S8R110)
- No Network Accessory
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- No TV Tuner
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- No Carrying Case
- Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
- No Car Adapter
- No Spare AC Adapter
- No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- No Headset
- No External Keyboard
- Standard Sager/Clevo Non Chiclet Backlit Keyboard
- No External Mouse
- No Notebook Cooler
- No Thanks, Please do not Overclock my system (Overclocking will add 3-6 business days to build time)
- No Operating System Redline Boost
- ~Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (64&32-Bit CD Included) + MS Office Starter 2010 -[ Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $14.99 (Directly through Microsoft) ]
- No Office Software
- No Software Bundle
- LIFETIME Ltd Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Toll Free Telephone Support (Labor through XPC)
Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Warranty Repairs (SKU - X9R009)
- No thanks, standard double boxed packaging is okay with my order
- No Outside of US Shipping Coverage
- No Xotic PC Gear

1900... Hows that look?